Basic Biographical Details
|Name: ||Simpson, McMichael & Davidson |
|Designation: ||Architectural practice |
|Started: ||1924 |
|Ended: ||c. 1945 |
|Bio Notes: ||Ebeneezer Simpson was born in 1854 and practised from 16 King Street, Stirling from c.1885. He was a volunteer in the First World War and reached the rank of Colonel. |
At some point before 1920 Simpson took George MacCallum Davidson into partnership. Davidson had been born in Bridge of Allan and had been articled to Simpson from 1887 to 1902, attending Glasgow and West of Scotland Technical College. He had remained as assistant with Simpson until 1905 when he had joined R M Christie's practice in Dunblane. Christie had taken him into partnership on 1 January 1909. Davidson had been admitted LRIBA in the mass intake of 20 July 1911, proposed by William Fleming Wilkie and the Dundee Institute of Architects. At that time he was still working with Christie and was living at Louise Villa, Bridge of Allan.
In 1920 the practice became Simpson, McMichael & Davidson when Alastair Marshall McMichael was assumed into partnership. McMichael had been born on 13 September 1888 in Perthshire. There is conflicting information on his early years in his ARIBA and FRIBA nomination papers but it seems that he had begun his higher education studying Fine Arts and modern languages at Edinburgh University, being awarded the degree of MA c.1909. He appears to have been briefly articled to Hugh Campbell from September of the latter year before embarking on three years of full-time studies at Glasgow School of Architecture under Eugène Bourdon, during which period he spent summers working as improver in the office of John Archibald Campbell's firm, Campbell & Hislop. Whilst at the School he also became acquainted with William James Smith (later Professor) and the younger Alexander Cullen (later Colonel). After completing his studies in Glasgow it seems that he moved back to Edinburgh to become a draughtsman in the office of Hippolyte Jean Blanc, and while there developed a 'flair for church work'. He made a study tour in England in July 1914, making measured drawings in Ely and also visiting Canterbury, Lincoln, York and Durham. During the First World War he served with the Royal Engineers as a Surveyor in the 19th Army Heavy Brigade. After his demobilisation he passed the qualifying exam in London in July 1919 and entered the Simpson's office as assistant. He was admitted ARIBA on 1 March 1920, his proposers being Walter Symington Athol Gordon, James Glen Sivewright Gibson and Herbert Hardy Wigglesworth.
Simpson was a somewhat idiosyncratic: although his Museum Hall at Bridge of Allan is Italian Romanesque his later work is mainly free Jacobean. He was married to Mary Jean Hodges. He retired in 1924 and died on 26 December 1934, leaving moveable estate of £10,352 11s 6d. His home address was then 14 Abercromby Place, Stirling. The practice was continued under its existing title by the two surviving partners.
McMichael was admitted FRIBA in late 1932, his proposers being James Glen Sivewright Gibson, Walter Symington Athol Gordon and Oliver Frederick Savege. In 1939-40 both Davidson and McMichael were Fellows of Stirling Society of Architects, and Davidson was a member of its Council. Their partnership was dissolved at the end of the Second World War, both partners continuing to practise separately thereafter.
Private and Business Addresses
|The following private or business addresses are associated with this architectural practice:|
| ||Address||Type||Date from||Date to||Notes|
|16, King Street, Stirling, Stirlingshire, Scotland||Business||1924||After 1939|| |
Employment and Training
Employees or Pupils
* earliest date known from documented sources.
Buildings and Designs
Currently, there are no references for this architectural practice. The information has been derived from: the British Architectural Library / RIBA Directory of British Architects 1834-1914; Post Office Directories; and/or any sources listed under this individual's works.