Basic Biographical Details
|Name: ||Alastair Marshall McMichael |
|Designation: ||Architect |
|Born: ||13 September 1888 |
|Died: ||14 February 1955 |
|Bio Notes: ||Alastair Marshall McMichael was born on 13 September 1888 in Perthshire. There is conflicting information on his early years in his ARIBA and FRIBA nomination papers but it seems that he began his higher education studying Fine Arts and modern languages at Edinburgh University, being awarded the degree of MA c.1909. He appears to have been briefly articled to Hugh Campbell from September of the latter year before embarking on three years of full-time studies at Glasgow School of Architecture under Eugène Bourdon, during which period he spent summers working as improver in the office of John Archibald Campbell's firm, Campbell & Hislop. Whilst at the School he also became acquainted with William James Smith (later Professor) and the younger Alexander Cullen (later Colonel). |
After completing his studies in Glasgow it seems that he moved back to Edinburgh to become a draughtsman in the office of Hippolyte Jean Blanc, and while there developed a 'flair for church work'. He made a study tour in England in July 1914, making measured drawings in Ely and also visiting Canterbury, Lincoln, York and Durham.
During the First World War he served with the Royal Engineers as a Surveyor in the 19th Army Heavy Brigade. After his demobilisation he passed the qualifying exam in London in July 1919 and entered the office of Ebeneezer Simpson in Stirling. He was admitted ARIBA on 1 March 1920, his proposers being Walter Symington Athol Gordon, James Glen Sivewright Gibson and Herbert Hardy Wigglesworth; and was made a partner in Simpson's practice in the same year, the firm becoming Simpson McMichael & Davidson as Simpson had already taken George McCallum Davidson into partnership sometime before. On Simpson's retirement in 1924 he continued with Davidson.
McMichael was admitted FRIBA in late 1932, his proposers being James Glen Sivewright Gibson, Walter Symington Athol Gordon and Oliver Frederick Savege. His partnership with Davidson was dissolved at the end of the Second World War and McMichael practised on his own until he entered into partnership with his son William A McMichael as A M & W McMichael. William A McMichael continued the practice after his father's death on 14 February 1955.
According to his obituarist Alastair Marshall McMichael's practice was a busy one. He designed many industrial buildings before the Second World War, chiefly paper mills in England, and later general work in Scotland including that on many county estates and country houses in Stirling and Perthshire. He was working on the restoration of St Ninian's Church Stirling at the time of his death.
He was married with one son and one daughter. He was a Past President of the Stirling Society of Architects, a Councillor and Magistrate and was Provost for three-and-a-half years.
Private and Business Addresses
|The following private or business addresses are associated with this architect:|
| ||Address||Type||Date from||Date to||Notes|
|Commercial Bank House, Callander, Perthshire, Scotland||Private||1920 *|| || |
|16, King Street, Stirling, Stirlingshire, Scotland||Private||1920||After 1939|| |
|11, Manse Gardens, Stirling, Stirlingshire, Scotland||Business||1932 *||After 1950|| |
* earliest date known from documented sources.
Employment and Training
Buildings and Designs
|The following books contain references to this architect:|
|RIBA||1939||The RIBA Kalendar 1939-1940|| ||London: Royal Institute of British Architects|| |
|RIBA||1950||The RIBA Kalendar 1950-1951|| ||London: Royal Institute of British Architects|| |
|The following periodicals contain references to this architect:|
| ||Periodical Name||Date||Edition||Publisher||Notes|
|RIAS Quarterly||May 1955||100||Royal Incorporation of Architects in Scotland (RIAS)||p53|
|RIBA Journal||August 1955|| ||London: Royal Institute of British Architects||p430 Obituary|
|The following archives hold material relating to this architect:|
| ||Source||Archive Name||Source Catalogue No.||Notes|
|RIBA Archive, Victoria & Albert Museum||RIBA Nomination Papers|| ||A v25 no2893 (microfilm reel 23); F no3056 (box 16)|