Basic Biographical Details
|Name: ||Maclennan & Cunningham |
|Designation: ||Architectural practice |
|Started: ||Before 1931 |
|Ended: ||After 1936 |
|Bio Notes: ||Thomas Forbes Maclennan was born in 1873, the son of George Maclennan, and educated at George Watson's College. He was articled to McArthy and Watson in 1888 and attended Heriot-Watt College and Edinburgh School of Art and the School of Applied Art, winning a silver medal for building construction and the David Cousin prize for measured drawings. He spent a year with Leadbetter & Fairley before joining James Macintyre Henry as assistant in 1894. In the autumn of 1898 he made a study tour in Normandy and was taken into partnership in 1905. He passed the qualifying exam in 1902 and although no London classes are mentioned in his nomination papers, he was able to call on the London architects John Slater and Edward Augustus Gruning, together with Richard Phené Spiers, head of the RA Schools, as proposers when he was admitted ARIBA on 2 March 1903. While in partnership with James Macintyre Henry he conducted a private practice. In 1907 he married Euphemia Anderson, daughter of John Cathles, Secretary of the North British Railway Company, a match which probably brought useful connections. |
Henry died on 18 September 1929. Maclennan thereafter ran the practice with junior partners, including John Colville Cunningham (the practice name became Maclennan & Colville in the early 1930s) and his own daughter, Mrs E L Westwater. He took a rather more active part in public life than Henry. He joined the Queen's Edinburgh Rifles in 1890, was President of the Edinburgh Architectural Association 1914-18, and during the First World War he served on the Architects' War Committee and volunteered for service as sub-lieutenant in a Royal Engineers Signal Company in 1917. After the war he was one of the founders of the Royal Incorporation of Architects in Scotland of which he was later President, and like Henry before him he was Dean of Guild 1930-34. From 1934 to 1937 he was assistant Master of the Merchant Company and was Moderator of the High Constables and Guard of Honour of Holyroodhouse in 1941. In his youth he played water polo.
Maclennan retired in 1949 and died 25 February 1957.
Private and Business Addresses
|The following private or business addresses are associated with this architectural practice:|
| ||Address||Type||Date from||Date to||Notes|
|7, South Charlotte Street, Edinburgh, Scotland||Business||c. 1931||1932|| |
|1, Gregory Place, St Andrews, Fife, Scotland||Business||1933 *|| || |
|57, Melville Street, Edinburgh, Scotland||Business||c. 1933||Before 1936|| |
* earliest date known from documented sources.
Employment and Training
Employees or Pupils
Buildings and Designs
|The following books contain references to this architectural practice:|
|Post Office Directories|| || || || || |
|RIBA||1939||The RIBA Kalendar 1939-1940|| ||London: Royal Institute of British Architects|| |
|The following archives hold material relating to this architectural practice:|
| ||Source||Archive Name||Source Catalogue No.||Notes|
|Jack Fisher Partnership||Drawings Archive|| ||Information from Angus McGhie|