Basic Biographical Details

Name: Gunton & Gunton
Designation: Architectural practice
Started: 1916
Ended: 1938
Bio Notes: Thomas Anderson Moodie was born in 1874 and articled to James Lindsay on 15 September 1889, studying at the Glasgow School of Art under William James Anderson. He remained with Lindsay as a draughtsman until February 1897 when he moved to John Bennie Wilson's office. In June 1899 he moved to London to work in the office of Stevenson & Redfern, passing the qualifying exam in November that year, and he was admitted ARIBA on 5 March 1900, his proposers being John James Stevenson, William Forrest Salmon and Campbell Douglas. Around this time he won the Soane Medallion. His nomination papers state that he had made three week-long summer sketching tours prior to that date - to Lincoln in 1896, to Oxford in 1897 and to Durham and York in 1898.

In 1902 Moodie joined the staff of the LCC Architects Department, where he met Emmanuel Vincent Harris. Both left in 1903, Moodie setting sail for Johannesburg where he commenced practice as chief architect to the South African Railway. He returned to London in 1908 to enter into partnership with Harris at 8 New Square, Lincoln's Inn. In 1909 they won the competition for Glamorgan County Buildings, a project which was completed in 1911, whereupon the partnership was dissolved. In that year Moodie formed a new partnership with Thomas Millwood Wilson, a friend and colleague at Stevenson & Redfern's, and Harold Ian Merriman from Edward Guy Dawber's office, their office being at 4 Staple Inn, Holborn. The Great War brought about the closure of the practice in 1916 when Moodie went into government service for the remainder of the war.

In 1918 Moodie joined the partnership of Josiah Gunton and his son William Henry Gunton, who had inherited the long-established practice of Gordon & Lowther on Lowther's retirement. This partnership lasted until 1938. The firm specialised in commercial buildings. Moodie had earlier been admitted FRIBA on 14 February 1927, proposed by Wilson, Merriman and William Henry Gunton. He retired as a Fellow of the RIBA in 1940 and died on 3 March 1948.

Private and Business Addresses

The following private or business addresses are associated with this architectural practice:
 AddressTypeDate fromDate toNotes
Item 1 of 1Finsbury House, Blomfield Street, London EC, EnglandBusiness1918After 1927 

Employment and Training

Employees or Pupils

The following individuals were employed or trained by this architectural practice (click on an item to view details):
 NameDate fromDate toPositionNotes
Item 1 of 4William Henry Gunton19161938Partner 
Item 2 of 4Thomas Anderson Moodie19181938Partner(?) 
Item 3 of 4Morton Angus Mackenzie1936January 1938Assistant 
Item 4 of 4Andrew HughesBefore 1948After 1960ArchitectRIBA Kalendars and Directories give this although Gunton & Gunton appear to have ceased by 1938.

References

Archive References

The following archives hold material relating to this architectural practice:
 SourceArchive NameSource Catalogue No.Notes
Item 1 of 1Professor David M Walker personal archiveProfessor David M Walker, notes and collection of archive material Additional information via website from Graham Potts