Basic Biographical Details

Name: Hay & Steel
Designation: Architectural practice
Started: May 1920
Ended:  
Bio Notes: James Scott Hay was born in Edinburgh and served his apprenticeship in an as yet unidentified Edinburgh practice. In 1896 he moved to Kilmarnock to become an assistant to Gabriel Andrew, commencing independent practice at 9 John Dickie Street in 1898 where after a number of years the practice became James Hay & Partners. In May 1920 he took his then chief assistant Gabriel Steel into partnership as Hay & Steel. Steel had been born on 14 January 1888 and had been articled to an unidentified firm of architects for six years from May 1903, studying at the School of Art and Technical College in Kilmarnock, before spending three years as assistant and three as chief assistant to Hay. During his training and the early years of his career he spent six months travelling in England and two abroad, and he had served in the armed forces during the First World War before returning to Hay's office.

Hay and Steel are believed to have fallen out in the early 1920s over plans for Galston Town House, and thereafter Steel practised from the main address at 13 West George Street, Kilmarnock, whilst Hay appears to have practised from his house, 'Dunscaig', 19 Racecourse Road, Ayr.

Hay's wife Adelaide Maud Jaffe died in November 1928 and a broken-hearted Hay died at Dunscaig only two months later, on 21 January 1929 at the age of fifty-four. He was buried at Ayr Cemetery. Steel continued the practice as sole partner thereafter. He was awarded an OBE some time before 1937, and was elected FRIBA by the RIBA Council on 13 January 1942.

After the Second World War the practice became Hay Steel and MacFarlane and later Hay Steel & Partners. Steel died suddenly at 1 Glasgow Road, Kilmarnock on 10 July 1953, survived by his wife Wilemina Brown Craig who died in 1970. He was buried at Kilmarnock Cemetery (plot 1011). His obituary omits to mention that he was an architect, simply stating that he inherited his father William's shop in Old Street, Riccarton and worked there as a shopkeeper at times. The practice became James Hay & Steel before the late 1960s.

Private and Business Addresses

The following private or business addresses are associated with this architectural practice:
 AddressTypeDate fromDate toNotes
Item 1 of 213, West George Street, Kilmarnock, Ayrshire, ScotlandBusinessBefore 1924After 1953Office of Gabriel Steel
Item 2 of 2Dunscaig/19, Racecourse Road, Ayr, Ayrshire, ScotlandBusiness1929 * Home of James Scott Hay

* earliest date known from documented sources.


Employment and Training

Employees or Pupils

The following individuals were employed or trained by this architectural practice (click on an item to view details):
 NameDate fromDate toPositionNotes
Item 1 of 7Duncan Gilmour MacFarlane  Architect 
Item 2 of 7James Scott HayMay 19201929Partner 
Item 3 of 7Gabriel SteelMay 1920After 1942PartnerSole partner from 1929
Item 4 of 7Alexander Dunlop19241929Apprentice 
Item 5 of 7William Eric Attenburrow Hurcombc. 1928July 1937Chief Assistant 
Item 6 of 7William Eric Attenburrow Hurcomb1937 * Assistant 
Item 7 of 7Malcolm Stewart HumeBefore 1956 Architect 

* earliest date known from documented sources.


Buildings and Designs

This architectural practice was involved with the following buildings or structures from the date specified (click on an item to view details):
 Date startedBuilding nameTown, district or villageIslandCity or countyCountryNotes
Item 1 of 441920s(?)1 Holmes RoadKilmarnock AyrshireScotland 
Item 2 of 441920s(?)101 Dundonald RoadKilmarnock AyrshireScotland 
Item 3 of 441920Local Authority housing schemeKilmarnock AyrshireScotland 
Item 4 of 44After 1920Beith Parish ChurchBeith AyrshireScotlandRestoration
Item 5 of 44After 1920Bus StationKilmarnock AyrshireScotland 
Item 6 of 44After 1920Bus StationGreenock RenfrewshireScotland 
Item 7 of 44After 1920Bus StationArdrossan AyrshireScotland 
Item 8 of 44After 1920Bus StationLargs AyrshireScotland 
Item 9 of 44After 1920Bus StationPaisley RenfrewshireScotland 
Item 10 of 44After 1920Drapery warehousesKilmarnock AyrshireScotland 
Item 11 of 44After 1920Factory for Saxone Shoe Company LtdKilmarnock AyrshireScotland 
Item 12 of 44After 1920Garage and workshopsKilmarnock AyrshireScotland 
Item 13 of 44After 1920Kilmarnock Infirmary and Fever Hospital, Mount PleasantKilmarnock AyrshireScotlandExtensive additions
Item 14 of 44After 1920Kilwinning Parish ChurchKilwinning AyrshireScotlandRestoration
Item 15 of 44After 1920Kirklandside HospitalKilmarnock AyrshireScotlandAdditions?
Item 16 of 44After 1920Municipal OfficesKilmarnock AyrshireScotland 
Item 17 of 44After 1920Offices and Welfare buildings for Saxone Shoe Company LtdKilmarnock AyrshireScotland 
Item 18 of 44After 1920Offices for Southhook PotteriesKilmarnock AyrshireScotland 
Item 19 of 44After 1920Portland Road UP ChurchKilmarnock AyrshireScotlandChancel and other additions/alterations
Item 20 of 44After 1920Stewarton Parish ChurchStewarton AyrshireScotlandRestoration
Item 21 of 44After 1920Two schoolsKilmarnock AyrshireScotland 
Item 22 of 441922George HotelKilmarnock AyrshireScotlandConversion of part of hotel to form George Cinema
Item 23 of 441923War MemorialDarvel AyrshireScotland 
Item 24 of 441924Bus StationAyr AyrshireScotland 
Item 25 of 441925Galston Municipal Offices and Council ChambersGalston AyrshireScotland 
Item 26 of 441925Old ManseKilmaurs AyrshireScotlandExtension
Item 27 of 441926St Ninian's Episcopal ChurchPrestwick AyrshireScotland 
Item 28 of 44192712 Glasgow RoadKilmarnock AyrshireScotland 
Item 29 of 441927WestlandsNewmilns AyrshireScotland 
Item 30 of 441928Offices for Ayrshire Electricity BoardKilmarnock AyrshireScotland 
Item 31 of 441929Fenwick Parish Church  AyrshireScotland 
Item 32 of 441930Fenwick Parish ChurchFenwick AyrshireScotlandRestoration after fire
Item 33 of 441931Garage and workshops, Dellinburn (?)Greenock RenfrewshireScotland 
Item 34 of 441931LibraryNewmilns AyrshireScotland 
Item 35 of 441931Offices and garage for LMS Railway CoGreenock RenfrewshireScotland 
Item 36 of 441931Villa, no 9 Cessnock RoadGalston AyrshireScotland'Probably' by Steel (Buildings of Scotland)
Item 37 of 44c. 1934Kilmarnock Technical SchoolKilmarnock AyrshireScotlandExtension
Item 38 of 441935Fire StationKilmarnock AyrshireScotland 
Item 39 of 441936Galston Parish ChurchGalston AyrshireScotlandFont and other fittings?
Item 40 of 441937Galston Community Education CentreGalston AyrshireScotland 
Item 41 of 441937Riccarton Fire StationRiccarton AyrshireScotland 
Item 42 of 44c. 1937(?)Grants Furniture StoreKilmarnock AyrshireScotland 
Item 43 of 441945Catrine MillCatrine AyrshireScotland 
Item 44 of 449 October 1953Premises of Blackburn Bros Ltd, Montford LaneKilmarnock  ScotlandNew office

References

Periodical References

The following periodicals contain references to this architectural practice:
 Periodical NameDateEditionPublisherNotes
Item 1 of 1Builder9 October 1953  p561

Archive References

The following archives hold material relating to this architectural practice:
 SourceArchive NameSource Catalogue No.Notes
Item 1 of 1Professor David M Walker personal archiveProfessor David M Walker, notes and collection of archive material Information from Craig W J McLelland, who worked for Hay & Steel between 1979 and 1985