Basic Biographical Details

Name: Seymour & Kinross
Designation: Architectural practice
Started: 1882
Ended: 1889
Bio Notes: Henry Seymour practised from 20 George Street, Edinburgh. In 1882 he took John Kinross into partnership. Kinross had been born at Shore Road, Stirling, on 3 July 1855, the second son of William Kinross (1810-74), the owner of a sizeable and successful carriage-building firm, William Kinross and Sons in Stirling, and his second wife, Ann Marshall (1821-99). He had attended Stirling High School between 1865 and 1870, and had been articled to John Hutchison of Glasgow. In 1875 he had moved to the Edinburgh office of Wardrop & Reid, where he had worked on a range of quality country house, ecclesiastical and British Linen Bank branch projects. Between the winter of 1880 and the spring of 1881, he had undertaken an architectural study tour of Italy, producing on his return the folio volume, 'Details from Italian Buildings Chiefly Renaissance', published by George Waterston & Sons in 1882.

The quality of the work of the Seymour & Kinross partnership indicates that Seymour assumed a lower profile throughout. The partnership was dissolved in 1889 when Kinross became a sole practitioner with an office in Howe Street, from which he secured the patronage which brought his career to its height. No independent work by Seymour is yet known.

Private and Business Addresses

The following private or business addresses are associated with this architectural practice:
 AddressTypeDate fromDate toNotes
Item 1 of 120, George Street, Edinburgh, ScotlandBusiness18821889 

Employment and Training

Employees or Pupils

The following individuals were employed or trained by this architectural practice (click on an item to view details):
 NameDate fromDate toPositionNotes
Item 1 of 2John Kinross18821889Partner 
Item 2 of 2Henry Seymour18821889Partner 

Buildings and Designs

This architectural practice was involved with the following buildings or structures from the date specified (click on an item to view details):
 Date startedBuilding nameTown, district or villageIslandCity or countyCountryNotes
Item 1 of 51882St James the Less Episcopal ChurchPenicuik MidlothianScotlandWorking drawings
Item 2 of 51884St Baldred's Episcopal ChurchNorth Berwick East LothianScotlandLengthening of apse (with resiting of glass), addition of chancel and interior refurbishment
Item 3 of 51884Stirling Carriage Works, showrooms, offices and dwelling housesStirling StirlingshireScotland 
Item 4 of 51886The Red House  EdinburghScotland 
Item 5 of 51889St Mary Episcopal ChurchSouth Queensferry West LothianScotlandRestoration and probably built new west porch

References

Bibliographic References

The following books contain references to this architectural practice:
 Author(s)DateTitlePartPublisherNotes
Item 1 of 1Post Office Directories