Basic Biographical Details

Name: Muirhead & Rutherford
Designation: Architectural practice
Started: 1908
Ended: After 1964
Bio Notes: Thomas Rutherford was born on 7 February 1882 in Cleish, Kinross-shire. He commenced his articles at the early age of fourteen in the office of T Hyslop Ure of Dunfermline, and remained for a year as assistant after completing his apprenticeship. He then spent a year 'at competition work in Glasgow & Edinburgh' before returning to Dunfermline in 1904 to join Andrew Muirhead as assistant. Little is known of Muirhead other than that he had won the competition for the Carnegie Baths in Dunfermline in conjunction with Alfred Greig in 1902. Muirhead died in 1908 and Rutherford, by then his principal assistant, inherited the practice, continuing as sole partner under the new title of Muirhead & Rutherford as a token of respect for his former employer.

Rutherford was admitted LRIBA in late 1931, his proposers being George Donaldson Macniven, John Wilson and James Lochhead, and was elevated to Fellow at the end of the following year, proposed by Wilson, Robert Stirling Reid and Alexander Lorne Campbell. By that time he had carried out numerous housing schemes for county and burgh councils in Fife and Kinross-shire amounting to some 1000 houses in total, as well as villas, bungalows, cottages, tenements, schools and commercial premises.

The firm was still practising in 1964.

Private and Business Addresses

The following private or business addresses are associated with this architectural practice:
 AddressTypeDate fromDate toNotes
Item 1 of 34, Abbey Park Place, Dunfermline, Fife, ScotlandBusiness1909After 1911 
Item 2 of 35, East Port, Dunfermline, Fife, ScotlandBusiness1931 *  
Item 3 of 392, Victoria Terrace, Dunfermline, Fife, ScotlandBusiness1964 *  

* earliest date known from documented sources.


Employment and Training

Employees or Pupils

The following individuals were employed or trained by this architectural practice (click on an item to view details):
 NameDate fromDate toPositionNotes
Item 1 of 5Thomas Rutherford1908After 1937PartnerSole partner
Item 2 of 5Alexander Anderson WatsonMay 1910Mid 1913Draughtsman 
Item 3 of 5William BlackJune 1912August 1920ApprenticeWith the exception of war service, October 1915 to March 1919
Item 4 of 5Alexander Anderson WatsonMid 1913September 1935Principal Assistant 
Item 5 of 5William BlackMarch 1919November 1922Assistant 

Buildings and Designs

This architectural practice was involved with the following buildings or structures from the date specified (click on an item to view details):
 Date startedBuilding nameTown, district or villageIslandCity or countyCountryNotes
Item 1 of 441907CemeteryDunfermline FifeScotlandGate lodge and entrance lodge at new portion of cemetery
Item 2 of 441907Kelty Infant SchoolKelty FifeScotlandAdditions
Item 3 of 441908Burnside InnKinglassie FifeScotlandAlterations
Item 4 of 441908Houses for Mrs DickLochgelly FifeScotland 
Item 5 of 441908Property of Ex-Provost Laing, High StreetCowdenbeath FifeScotlandAlterations and additions
Item 6 of 44After 1908Bakery for Cowdenbeath Co-operative SocietyCowdenbeath FifeScotland 
Item 7 of 44After 1908Bruce's Bakery and Tea RoomsDunfermline FifeScotland 
Item 8 of 44After 1908City Arms HotelDunfermline FifeScotland 
Item 9 of 44After 1908Four housing schemes for Dunfermline District Committee  FifeScotland 
Item 10 of 44After 1908HotelHill of Beath FifeScotlandAlterations
Item 11 of 44After 1908Housing scheme for Cowdenbeath Burgh CouncilCowdenbeath FifeScotland 
Item 12 of 44After 1908Housing scheme for Dunfermline Burgh CouncilDunfermline FifeScotland 
Item 13 of 44After 1908Housing scheme for Kinross County Council  Kinross-shireScotland 
Item 14 of 44After 1908Housing scheme for Kinross Town CouncilKinross Kinross-shireScotland 
Item 15 of 44After 1908Kelty Public SchoolKelty FifeScotland 
Item 16 of 44After 1908Kinross Public SchoolKinross Kinross-shireScotlandClaimed to have some input in Nomination Paper
Item 17 of 44After 1908Shops for Cowdenbeath Co-operative SocietyCowdenbeath FifeScotland 
Item 18 of 44After 1908Shops for Mr W HodgeCowdenbeath FifeScotland 
Item 19 of 44After 1908Six Miners' Welfare Institutes  Fife?Scotland 
Item 20 of 441909Crown Tavern BuildingsLochgelly FifeScotland 
Item 21 of 441909House and Shop, Townhill RoadDundfermline FifeScotland 
Item 22 of 441909Shop and dwelling house, Townhill RoadDunfermline FifeScotland 
Item 23 of 441911Licensed premises for H H PorterDunfermline FifeScotland 
Item 24 of 441912Commercial buildings, 6-12 New RowDunfermline FifeScotland 
Item 25 of 441912Gas offices and showroomsDunfermline FifeScotlandWon competition to secure job
Item 26 of 441912Parish Council Offices, MaygateDunfermline FifeScotlandWon competition to secure job
Item 27 of 441912Shops and houses, Bridge StreetDunfermline FifeScotlandRemodelled including new shopfront
Item 28 of 441915Kinema Picture HouseDunfermline FifeScotland 
Item 29 of 44After 1919Post-War Housing Competition designs    Premiated competition design (but not winning design)
Item 30 of 441921Dunfermline AbbeyDunfermline FifeScotlandRepairs to roof of tower
Item 31 of 441922Local Authority Housing Scheme, Stenhouse StreetCowdenbeath FifeScotland16 houses
Item 32 of 441923Cowdenbeath Co-operative Society Premises, Broad StreetCowdenbeath FifeScotlandReconstruction
Item 33 of 441925Miners' Welfare InstituteLumphinnans FifeScotland 
Item 34 of 441928Dunfermline Cottage HospitalDunfermline FifeScotlandLarge new wing at rear of Priory House (built 1835) fronting New Row
Item 35 of 441928Pittencrieff Park, South East GatewayDunfermline FifeScotland 
Item 36 of 441929British Linen BankSt Andrews FifeScotland 
Item 37 of 441931Forty houses for Fife County CouncilKelty FifeScotland 
Item 38 of 441932Dunfermline Cottage HospitalDunfermline FifeScotlandInfectious diseases wing (fever hospital)
Item 39 of 441932Housing scheme for Fife County CouncilCrossgates FifeScotland 
Item 40 of 441932Miners' Welfare InstituteAuchterderran FifeScotland 
Item 41 of 441932Miners' Welfare Institute, BowhillDunfermline FifeScotland 
Item 42 of 441933Carnegie HallDunfermline FifeScotlandLinked to Music Institute which was adapted from house called Benachie.
Item 43 of 441934Dunfermline Maternity Hospital, St Leonards HillDunfermline FifeScotland 
Item 44 of 441937Queen's HallCharlestown FifeScotlandReconstruction

References

Bibliographic References

The following books contain references to this architectural practice:
 Author(s)DateTitlePartPublisherNotes
Item 1 of 2Measurers\' Companion1911The Scottish Architects' and Measurers' Companion   
Item 2 of 2Municipal Annual1964Scottish Municipal Annual1964-1965