Basic Biographical Details

Name: Duncan McNaughtan & Son (or Duncan MacNaughtan & Son)
Designation: Architectural practice
Started: 1907
Ended: After 1922
Bio Notes: Duncan McNaughtan was born in Rutherglen in 1845 (christened 12 September), the son of Joseph McNaughtan, cotton spinner and his wife Helen Fulton. In 1863 he was articled to William Spence, spending about six years with him before becoming an assistant in the office of Campbell Douglas & Stevenson for six months. He then moved to London, securing a place in the office of William Henry Crossland and John Philpot Jones, which enabled him to study at the South Kensington Schools and to make sketching tours during his spare time of the principal cathedral towns of England. During his time in London he also carried out some work at home from Mr Edgar of Sir George Gilbert Scott's office. He returned to Glasgow to commence business on his own account in January 1871 from premises at 178 St Vincent Street.

McNaughtan married Elizabeth Smith and they had three sons: Alan George (born 1878), who became an architect; Arthur, who studied architecture at Glasgow School of Art; and Joseph, later of Fernlea, Helensburgh. Alan George, who signed his name MacNaughtan, joined his father's practice in 1904, becoming a partner in 1907. Alan George, who signed his name MacNaughtan, joined the practice in 1904. He had been articled to Burnet, Son & Campbell in 1895, remaining with Burnet after the break-up of that partnership in 1897. During those years he studied under William James Anderson and Alexander McGibbon at the School of Art and under Charles Gourlay at the Technical College. At the end of his apprenticeship in 1901 he moved to London to work for Aston Webb and Edward Ingress Bell, which enabled him to study at the Architectural Association. He won its Silver Medal and Travelling Scholarship, enabling him to spend nine months of the year 1903 in Italy with Alexander Wingate, a friend and colleague from Burnet's office. There his pencil and brush were never idle and on his return he gave a paper to the Glasgow Architectural Association: 'A walk through Etruria'. He would continue his artistic pursuits throughout his life, exhibiting drawings and watercolours at the Royal Glasgow Institute of the Fine Arts until 1941, mostly of Italian and Arran subjects. He joined his father's practice in 1904, becoming a partner in 1907 and joining the Glasgow Institute of Architects in the same year.

Duncan McNaughtan was admitted FRIBA on 3 December 1906, his proposers being John Keppie, William Leiper and John James Burnet. In addition to his known works, his nomination paper cites 'a large number of' country houses and villas, terraced houses in the West End of Glasgow, many commercial buildings and workmen's houses. Alan George MacNaughtan was admitted LRIBA in the mass intake of 20 July 1911, proposed by John Bennie Wilson and the Glasgow Institute of Architects, and became sole practitioner when his father died of cardiac syncope at Fraoch, Bearsden on 26 February 1912.

Alan George MacNaughtan was both an 'ardent Highlander… on a suitable occasion could tune up the pipes with the best of them' and a territorial. He went to France with the 9th Highland Light Infantry and whilst still on active service on 14 August 1918 he married Mary Henrietta Jebb at St Ninian's Episcopal Church, Glasgow. Serious wounds sustained in battle ended his war service; his health never fully recovered. In the later 1920s he went into partnership with another friend from Burnet's office, John Arthur, who had subsequently worked in James Miller's London office, the practice title becoming Arthur & MacNaughtan.

(NB: Duncan McNaughtan signed himself thus; his son Alan George inserted an 'a' to become MacNaughtan.)

Private and Business Addresses

The following private or business addresses are associated with this architectural practice:
 AddressTypeDate fromDate toNotes
Item 1 of 2137, West Regent Street, Glasgow, ScotlandBusiness1907c. 1921 
Item 2 of 2164, Bath Street, Glasgow, ScotlandBusinessc. 1922  

Employment and Training

Employees or Pupils

The following individuals were employed or trained by this architectural practice (click on an item to view details):
 NameDate fromDate toPositionNotes
Item 1 of 3Duncan McNaughtan1907February 1912Partner 
Item 2 of 3Alan George MacNaughtan1907After 1922Partner 
Item 3 of 3(Captain) Arthur James Scott Hutton19091912 or 1913Apprentice 

Buildings and Designs

This architectural practice was involved with the following buildings or structures from the date specified (click on an item to view details):
 Date startedBuilding nameTown, district or villageIslandCity or countyCountryNotes
Item 1 of 101905Drumchapel SchoolDrumchapel GlasgowScotlandAlan George MacNaughtan responsible - Addition of wings, doubling accommodation
Item 2 of 101906New Kilpatrick Parish Council ChambersBearsden GlasgowScotland 
Item 3 of 101907Colston SchoolSpringburn GlasgowScotlandCompleted under the practice title - which began in 1907
Item 4 of 101907CuilvonaHelensburgh DunbartonshireScotland 
Item 5 of 10After 1907(?)Possilpark School, manual instruction blockPossilpark GlasgowScotlandMay have been designed/built before Alan George MacNaughtan was taken into partnership by his father
Item 6 of 101909Radnor Park UF ChurchClydebank DunbartonshireScotlandAdditions (transepts)
Item 7 of 101911Gallowflat Public SchoolRutherglen LanarkshireScotlandOne of three blocks (begun 1908?)
Item 8 of 101913Board of Trade Offices  LondonEnglandCompetition design - not successful
Item 9 of 101913Roman CourtBearsden GlasgowScotland 
Item 10 of 101921Phoenix CinemaWoodside GlasgowScotland 

References

Periodical References

The following periodicals contain references to this architectural practice:
 Periodical NameDateEditionPublisherNotes
Item 1 of 2RIAS QuarterlyNovember 195290Royal Incorporation of Architects in Scotland (RIAS)Obituary of Alan G McNaughtan
Item 2 of 2RIBA Journal9 March 1912 London: Royal Institute of British Architectsp355 - obituary of Duncan McNaughtan

Archive References

The following archives hold material relating to this architectural practice:
 SourceArchive NameSource Catalogue No.Notes
Item 1 of 1Professor David M Walker personal archiveProfessor David M Walker, notes and collection of archive material Personal information from Alfred G Lochhead and Alexander Wright