Basic Biographical Details
|Name: ||John Paterson |
|Designation: ||Architect |
|Born: || |
|Died: ||19 November 1832 |
|Bio Notes: ||John Paterson was probably the son of George Paterson, architect, who died in 1789 and therefore presumably younger brother of the George Paterson who inherited his fatherís estate of Cunnochie. George senior and John shared an address in St John Street, Edinburgh in the 1770s and 1780s. A contract of 1780 between George Paterson and Francis Charteris, Earl of Wemyss shows that Paterson built houses on the west side of St John Street, sharing the cost with Charteris. However in 1784 the houses had not sold (although the lower level was occupied by Sir William Maxwell of Springkell). Charteris was to occupy the upper floor and Paterson the lower floor. |
John Paterson appears in directories at the address in St John Street from 1777-1784. Soon after this he moved to Elgin where he must have undertaken work for Sir James Grant (he added wings to Grant Lodge in 1784 but it is not yet clear what he undertook in Elgin before this) and probably other clients.
However he returned to Edinburgh about July 1789 when he was appointed clerk of works for the University buildings in Edinburgh. He owed this appointment to Robert Adam whose practice in Scotland he helped to manage until 1791 when he was dismissed from both appointments. Colvin notes that details of his terms of employment can be found in the Abercairny and Breadalbane papers in the National Archives of Scotland.
Thereafter he set up in independent practice in Edinburgh and had a large practice which extended over Scotland and the north of England. He became the leading exponent of the 'Castle Style' after the death of Robert and James Adam. He also designed good classical style interiors and frequently used oval of circular rooms (a good example being the circular stairwell and first floor room on the corner of Seafield Baths).
He remained in Edinburgh for thirty years until his death on 19 November 1832.
Private and Business Addresses
|The following private or business addresses are associated with this architect:|
| ||Address||Type||Date from||Date to||Notes|
|Edinburgh, Scotland||Business|| || || |
|St John's Street, Edinburgh, Scotland||Private||1777||1784|| |
|2, North Bridge Street, Edinburgh, Scotland||Business||1791|| ||In Williamson's Edinburgh Directory of 1784-5 (covering June 1784-June 1785) Paterson's address is listed as being 'head of the North Bridge'.|
|24, Buccleuch Place, Edinburgh, Scotland||Business||After 1800(?)|| || |
Employment and Training
Employees or Pupils
|The following individuals were employed or trained by this architect (click on an item to view details):|
| ||Name||Date from||Date to||Position||Notes|
|Anthony Salvin||c. 1820|| || || |
Buildings and Designs
|The following books contain references to this architect:|
|Colvin, H M||1995||A Biographical Dictionary of British Architects 1600-1840||3rd edition||New Haven and London: Yale University Press|| |
|Mackie, C||1836||Historical description of Dundee|| || ||p156|
|Williamson||1784||Williamson's Directory for the City of Edinburgh|| || || |
|The following archives hold material relating to this architect:|
| ||Source||Archive Name||Source Catalogue No.||Notes|
|Edinburgh City Archives||College Trust Minute Book, Edinburgh City Records|| ||18 November 1789 and 15 December 1791. |
|National Archives of Scotland (formerly SRO)||Gifts and deposits||GD 112/16/7 and GD 24/1/624||Abercairny and Breadalbane Papers|
|Wemyss Estate, Gosford||Plans Collection|| ||There is a contract in the Wemyss family archives, Gosford House, between George Paterson, architect and Francis Charteris of Amisfield, dated 18 March 1784 in which it is noted that the two houses built by Paterson on the west side of St John Street were complete by Whitsunday 1780, but did not sell. The original agreement was that they would share the building and finishing costs and split any profit after sale. The lower house [towards the Cowgate] was occupied at that date by Sir William Maxwell of Sprinkell. It was agreed between them that Charteris would have the upper house and Paterson the lower. (Edinburgh City Archive, Dean of Guild plans).|