Basic Biographical Details

Name: Lanyon & Lynn
Designation: Architectural practice
Started: 1854
Ended: 1860
Bio Notes: Charles Lanyon was born on 6 January 1813 in Eastbourne, Sussex. He was articled in North Wales to Jacob Owen, whose daughter he later married. He settled in Ireland where he became County Surveyor of Kildare in 1835, and was County Surveyor of Antrim from 1836 to 1860. He worked in partnership with his former apprentice and clerk of works William Henry Lynn from 1854 onwards. His son John was articled to the firm and was taken into partnership in 1860, the practice title becoming Lanyon, Lynn & Lanyon.

Private and Business Addresses

The following private or business addresses are associated with this architectural practice:
 AddressTypeDate fromDate toNotes
Item 1 of 1Belfast, Northern IrelandBusiness   

Employment and Training

Employees or Pupils

The following individuals were employed or trained by this architectural practice (click on an item to view details):
 NameDate fromDate toPositionNotes
Item 1 of 4Thomas Drew18541858Apprentice 
Item 2 of 4William Henry Lynn18541860Partner 
Item 3 of 4Charles Lanyon18541860Partner 
Item 4 of 4Thomas Drew18581860  

Buildings and Designs

This architectural practice was involved with the following buildings or structures from the date specified (click on an item to view details):
 Date startedBuilding nameTown, district or villageIslandCity or countyCountryNotes
Item 1 of 21857Cally Estate, Cally Palace and other estate buildingsGatehouse of Fleet KirkcudbrightshireScotlandAdditions of chapel and conservatory to west wing
Item 2 of 21858Trinity Church  EdinburghScotlandWon open competition (joint first place with Haswell & Johnson?) - not built

References

Currently, there are no references for this architectural practice. The information has been derived from: the British Architectural Library / RIBA Directory of British Architects 1834-1914; Post Office Directories; and/or any sources listed under this individual's works.