Basic Biographical Details

Name: Lanyon, Lynn & Lanyon
Designation: Architectural practice
Started: 1860
Ended: 1872
Bio Notes: Charles Lanyon was born on 6 January 1813 in Eastbourne, Sussex. He was articled in North Wales to Jacob Owen, whose daughter he later married. He settled in Ireland where he became County Surveyor of Kildare in 1835, and was County Surveyor of Antrim from 1836 to 1860. He worked in partnership with his former apprentice and clerk of works William Henry Lynn from 1854 onwards. His son John was articled to the firm and was taken into partnership in 1860, the practice title becoming Lanyon, Lynn & Lanyon.

The firm had a formidable success rate in competitions winning that for Trinity Church Edinburgh in 1858, the parliament building at Sydney New South Wales 1861 (not built) and Chester Town Hall 1863. It also won a gold medal at the Royal Exhibition of 1867.

Lynn was admitted FRIBA on 29 May 1865, but the partnership of Lanyon Lynn & Lanyon was dissolved in 1872, Lynn practising independently and Charles and John Lanyon continuing as Lanyon & Lanyon thereafter.

Private and Business Addresses

The following private or business addresses are associated with this architectural practice:
 AddressTypeDate fromDate toNotes
Item 1 of 1Belfast, Northern IrelandBusiness   

Employment and Training

Employees or Pupils

The following individuals were employed or trained by this architectural practice (click on an item to view details):
 NameDate fromDate toPositionNotes
Item 1 of 3William Henry Lynn1860 Partner 
Item 2 of 3Thomas Drew18601862  
Item 3 of 3Charles Lanyon18601872Partner 


Bibliographic References

The following books contain references to this architectural practice:
Item 1 of 1Dixon, Hugh1974Article on William Henry Lynn (correct title required - check) Irish Georgian Society Quarterly Bulletin, Jan-June 1974, p25-30 

Periodical References

The following periodicals contain references to this architectural practice:
 Periodical NameDateEditionPublisherNotes
Item 1 of 3Builder15 September 1915   
Item 2 of 3Building News7 January 1891   
Item 3 of 3RIBA Journal25 September 1915 London: Royal Institute of British ArchitectsObituary of Lynn, p506