Basic Biographical Details

Name: Murphy & Kinross
Designation: Architectural practice
Started: 1905
Ended: Early 1914
Bio Notes: Bailey Scott Murphy was born in 1876 and articled to Henry Francis Kerr from 1892 to 1897. While in that office he studied at Edinburgh School of Art, Heriot-Watt College and under Frank Worthington Simon and Stewart Henbest Capper at the School of Applied Art. At the end of his apprenticeship he worked for Kinross and Tarbolton, then moved to London to the office of Sir John W Simpson and Ormrod Maxwell Ayrton. The years 1902-1904 were spent on measuring historic ironwork in England and Scotland for his publication on the subject, and in 1905 he commenced practice on his own account with David Morton Kinross as Bailey Murphy & Kinross at 28 North Bridge and later (1911) 44 Hanover Street. David Morton Kinross was John Kinross's nephew, the son of his half-brother James and had also been in Kinross's office. He died early perhaps in 1911. Murphy's relationship with the painter E Bailey Murphy who exhibited from the 28 North Bridge address (previous address 36 McLaren Road) is not yet known. He was admitted LRIBA in the mass intake of 20 July 1911 and also died on 15 June 1914.

Just prior to his death Murphy practised in association with W J Walker Todd who had commenced practice early in 1909; after Murphy's death Todd formed the short-lived partnership of Todd & Miller, which was merged with John More Dick Peddie's practice in 1920, the surviving records of Murphy & Kinross's practice thus becoming part of the Dick Peddie & McKay archive.

Private and Business Addresses

The following private or business addresses are associated with this architectural practice:
 AddressTypeDate fromDate toNotes
Item 1 of 228, North Bridge, Edinburgh, ScotlandBusiness1905c. 1909 
Item 2 of 244, Hanover Street, Edinburgh, ScotlandBusinessc. 1909Early 1914 

Employment and Training

Employees or Pupils

The following individuals were employed or trained by this architectural practice (click on an item to view details):
 NameDate fromDate toPositionNotes
Item 1 of 2David Morton Kinross19051911Partner 
Item 2 of 2Bailey Scott Murphy1905Early 1914Partner 

Buildings and Designs

This architectural practice was involved with the following buildings or structures from the date specified (click on an item to view details):
 Date startedBuilding nameTown, district or villageIslandCity or countyCountryNotes
Item 1 of 27After 1906Memorial FountainBonnybridge StirlingshireScotland 
Item 2 of 27c. 1906Houses for Mrs M K Gregory and A W L Gregory EsqTrinity EdinburghScotland 
Item 3 of 271907Double Cottage at LibertonLiberton EdinburghScotland 
Item 4 of 27c. 1907Green HotelKinross Kinross-shireScotlandAddition
Item 5 of 27c. 1907Houses for Mrs M K GregoryTrinity EdinburghScotland 
Item 6 of 271908Cramond Brig Golf Club  EdinburghScotland 
Item 7 of 271908Pitcairn, Hailes Estate  EdinburghScotland 
Item 8 of 27190959 Hailes Gardens  EdinburghScotland 
Item 9 of 27190963-67 Hailes Gardens  EdinburghScotland 
Item 10 of 271909Bungalow, Lanark RoadJuniper Green/Currie/Balerno Edinburgh/MidlothianScotland 
Item 11 of 271909West MillsColinton EdinburghScotlandAlterations
Item 12 of 2719105 Spylaw ParkColinton EdinburghScotland 
Item 13 of 271910The GablesColinton EdinburghScotland 
Item 14 of 271910Villa for John HislopColinton EdinburghScotland 
Item 15 of 27c. 1910Double villa and self-contained villa, Hailes Estate  EdinburghScotland 
Item 16 of 27c. 1910House at Spylaw ParkColinton EdinburghScotland 
Item 17 of 27c. 1910Lochrin HouseCraiglockhart EdinburghScotland 
Item 18 of 271911Motor garage and dwellinghouseStirling StirlingshireScotlandWith W J Walker Todd
Item 19 of 271912Villa, 4 Spylaw ParkColinton EdinburghScotland 
Item 20 of 271913Four houses for Milne & SonsJuniper Green EdinburghScotland 
Item 21 of 27Before 191431 Pitt Street (now Dundas Street)  EdinburghScotland 
Item 22 of 27Before 1914House at Craighall Terrace  EdinburghScotland 
Item 23 of 27Before 1914Liberton Parish Council Offices (and house)Liberton EdinburghScotlandCompetition deisgn?
Item 24 of 27Before 1914Property in Lanark RoadJuniper Green EdinburghScotlandSurvey and alterations
Item 25 of 27Before 1914Rosslyn CastleRoslin/Rosslyn, Esklee MidlothianScotlandAlterations
Item 26 of 27Before 1914Woodhall ArmsJuniper Green EdinburghScotland 
Item 27 of 27c. 1914Double villa, Hailes EstateColinton EdinburghScotland 

References

Bibliographic References

The following books contain references to this architectural practice:
 Author(s)DateTitlePartPublisherNotes
Item 1 of 1Post Office Directories