Basic Biographical Details
|Name: ||Alexander Ross & Son |
|Designation: ||Architectural practice |
|Started: ||Late 1907 |
|Ended: ||1950s |
|Bio Notes: ||Alexander Ross (born 1834), the son of James Ross, architect, took over his father's Inverness practice on the latter's death in 1853 and worked in partnership with William Joass from 1859 to 1865, with David Mackintosh from about 1875 until the mid-1880s, and with Robert John Macbeth from 1887 to 1907. At the end of the latter year the partnership of Ross & Macbeth was dissolved and Ross formed a new partnership with his son, John Alistair Ross (born 1882), who had served his apprenticeship in the family firm from 1900 and sought wider experience with Peddie & Washington Browne in Edinburgh and with Marshall Mackenzie & Son in London before returning as partner. The practice title became Alexander Ross & Son. In the same year the partnership was formed, John Alistair Ross was appointed architect to Inverness County Council and to the Inverness and North Board of Control. |
In 1914 John Alistair Ross was mobilized. He formed the anti-aircraft defences at Cromarty in 1915, and subsequently served in France, as a Major in command of the 192 Siege Battery Royal Garrison Artillery. On his return in February 1919 he rejoined the practice, becoming sole partner following the death on 19 May 1925 of his father, who had ceased taking an active role in the business two years previously. A few years earlier, in 1921, he had married Olive Cameron, daughter of the Rev Allan Cameron.
John Alistair Ross was admitted LRIBA in early 1931, his proposers being John Watson, George Arthur Boswell and the then secretary of the RIAS, and was advanced to FRIBA by the RIBA Council on 27 October of the same year. By that time he had been architect to the Inverness District Board of Control for over twenty years. He continued the practice until his death in 1955, latterly in partnership with W W Mitchell who died in 1966.
Private and Business Addresses
|The following private or business addresses are associated with this architectural practice:|
| ||Address||Type||Date from||Date to||Notes|
|Queensgate Chambers, Inverness, Inverness-shire, Scotland||Business||Late 1907||After 1930|| |
Employment and Training
Employees or Pupils
* earliest date known from documented sources.
Buildings and Designs
Currently, there are no references for this architectural practice. The information has been derived from: the British Architectural Library / RIBA Directory of British Architects 1834-1914; Post Office Directories; and/or any sources listed under this individual's works.