Basic Biographical Details
|Name: ||Harper & Sutherland |
|Designation: ||Architectural practice |
|Started: ||Early 1896 |
|Ended: ||1899 or 1900 |
|Bio Notes: ||Nothing beyond a very short list of works is known of Louis Harper who commenced practice in 1889 or early 1890, his first known work being stores for Harpers Ltd, presumably the family firm. |
At the beginning of 1896, despite an apparent dearth of business, Harper took into partnership George Sutherland who was then in practice at 51 High Street Elgin but had received a commission for a mission hall in Aberdeen. Born in 1861, Sutherland had been articled to Pirie & Clyne in 1878 but transferred to Ellis & Wilson before completing his apprenticeship. About 1993 he obtained a place in a Glasgow office, probably John Honeyman's, and remained there for two years. In 1884 he commenced practice in Banff moving by 1890 to Elgin where he was elected to the School Board and designed the towered H H Richardson-Romanesque Victoria Shool of Science and Art, evidently only one of several commissions as Honeyman had seen 'some creditable buildings' designed by him prior to 1894. Sutherland sat the qualifying exam in Glasgow in March 1894 and immediately sought admission as ARIBA, his proposers being John Honeyman, Arthur Cates and L-W Ridge. In his application he acknowledged his lack of training abroad but stated that he had spent a good deal of time measuring Elgin Cathedral, Pluscarden Priory, 'some old Scotch castles' and 'old buildings in Aberdeen': he was admitted on 11 June of the same year.
When in partnership with Harper, Sutherland's one major commission was a large block in Bridge Street, the remainder being speculative housing, some of it for himself.
About 1899 or 1900 Harper either died or withdrew from practice. Sutherland continued as sole practitioner through 1900 and 1901 but at the beginning of 1902 he entered into partnership with James M Pirie. Pirie's relationship, if any, with John Bridgeford Pirie and his son Bridgeford MacDougall Pirie is unknown but he commenced practice c 1899/1900, and had designed a couple of substantial houses by the time of the partnership.
The partnership with Pirie ended in 1907 when Sutherland went into partnership with Clement George. George was born in 1879 and educated in Macduff. he was articled to Alexander Marshall Mackenzie in 1897 and attended Robert Gordon's College and Aberdeen Art School. (Gray's School of Art?). He remained with the Mackenzies as assistant right up to the time of his partnership with Sutherland, and may have spent some time in their London office as he and Mackenzie's son Alexander george Robertson Mackenzie became close friends. George was admitted LRIBA in the mass intake of 20 July 1911 his proposers being the elder Mackenzie, George Sutherland and George Watt.
Sutherland was admitted FRIBA in 1923, his proposer being George Watt. He died in 1927. Clement George who Had become a Fellow in 1925 continued the practice until May 1931 when he merged his practice with Mackenzie's as A Marshall Mackenzie Son & George, The partnership was short lived as George died on 23 February 1932.
Private and Business Addresses
|The following private or business addresses are associated with this architectural practice:|
| ||Address||Type||Date from||Date to||Notes|
|115, Union Street, Aberdeen, Scotland||Business||1896||c. 1900|| |
Employment and Training
Employees or Pupils
|The following individuals were employed or trained by this architectural practice (click on an item to view details):|
| ||Name||Date from||Date to||Position||Notes|
|George Sutherland||Early 1896||1899 or 1900||Partner|| |
|Louis Harper||Early 1896||1899 or 1900||Partner|| |
Buildings and Designs
|The following archives hold material relating to this architectural practice:|
| ||Source||Archive Name||Source Catalogue No.||Notes|
|Professor David M Walker personal archive||Professor David M Walker, notes and collection of archive material|| ||Additional information from Douglas Harper|