Basic Biographical Details

Name: Menzies, Cockburn & Johnson
Designation: Architectural practice
Started: c. 1910
Ended: Before 1928
Bio Notes: This practice was established by Duncan Menzies who was born in 1837. He appears to have been articled to Robert Bell of 25 St Patrick Square, Edinburgh (previously Dalkeith) and succeeded to his practice at the early age of twenty-one when Bell died on 24 February 1859. The practice then became Bell & Menzies, and was relocated to a more central address, 13 Young Street. In 1864 Menzies merged his practice with that of James W Stewart, CE, who was presumably older and more experienced, as Stewart & Menzies. Stewart closed his office at 73 George Street and the merged practices initially operated from Young Street but moved to 39 York Place in the mid-1870s, and stayed there for the remainder of Menzies's lifetime. Stewart died or retired about 1881 or 1882 and Menzies practised in his name alone until about 1901 when he took Alex W Cockburn into partnership, the practice title then becoming Menzies & Cockburn. Menzies died on 24 July 1910 and Cockburn invited William Henry Johnson to join the practice. Menzies's name was retained in the practice title for the duration of this practice.

By 1928 Johnson appears to have withdrawn from the partnership and Menzies and Cockburn had been joined by an unidentified ____ Merrylees, the firm's office being at 18 York Place; however, a practice address of 3 Palmerston Place is given by Menzies, Cockburn and Merrylees when exhibiting at the RSA in 1929, and by William Henry Johnson in the RIBA Kalendar of 1930-31, suggesting a continued association. Furthermore in the RSA catalogues Menzies Cockburn & Johnson are noted as practising from 18 York Place in 1928 and 1929.

Private and Business Addresses

The following private or business addresses are associated with this architectural practice:
 AddressTypeDate fromDate toNotes
Item 1 of 333, York Place, Edinburgh, ScotlandBusinessc. 1910c. 1919 
Item 2 of 320, York Place, Edinburgh, ScotlandBusinessc. 1920c. 1928 
Item 3 of 33, Palmerston Place, Edinburgh, ScotlandBusiness1929c. 1932Menzies Cockburn and Johnson moved to this address early 1929 as noted in Builder 1 February 1929

Employment and Training

Employees or Pupils

The following individuals were employed or trained by this architectural practice (click on an item to view details):
 NameDate fromDate toPositionNotes
Item 1 of 3Duncan Menzies1911Before 1928Partner 
Item 2 of 3William Henry Johnson (junior)1911Before 1928Partner 
Item 3 of 3Alexander W Cockburn1911Before 1928Partner 

Buildings and Designs

This architectural practice was involved with the following buildings or structures from the date specified (click on an item to view details):
 Date startedBuilding nameTown, district or villageIslandCity or countyCountryNotes
Item 1 of 21913Cinematograph HouseGorgie EdinburghScotlandCinematograph House
Item 2 of 21929St Margaret's ChurchCorstorphine EdinburghScotlandPractice name as given in the Builder April 1929

References

Periodical References

The following periodicals contain references to this architectural practice:
 Periodical NameDateEditionPublisherNotes
Item 1 of 1Builder1 February 1929  General News