Basic Biographical Details
|Name: ||T Pilkington & Son |
|Designation: ||Architectural practice |
|Started: ||Late 1853 or early 1854 |
|Ended: ||1863(?) |
|Bio Notes: ||Thomas Pilkington was born c.1799. His father Jonathan Pilkington, a Stamford parson (d.1844), came of building and carpenter stock. In 1830 he married Jane Butterworth, who belonged to an ardent Methodist family. Thomas set up architectural practice in Stamford and took up his freedom in 1832 but was burnt out of his office in 1838 and moved to Barn Hill by 1842; by 1849 he was in Bourne with his own brickworks. His son Frederick Thomas was born in 1832 and first trained with his father before being articled in London for one year, subsequently returning to his father's firm. |
The family moved to Edinburgh in 1854, apparently because of a lawsuit. Thomas set up house and office at 9 South-East Circus Place. It was at this time or early the previous year that Frederick Thomas was taken into partnership, the firm exhibiting designs at the RSA in 1854 under the name of T Pilkington & Son.
Frederick studied mathematics under Professor Kelland, passed his exams in 1858 and was Hamilton prizewinner in Logic, but did not bother to graduate. He signed the University Matriculation Register 1856/7 as of Stamford. In 1858 he married with a house at Mary Cottage, Trinity and in 1859 he built Inchglas, Broich Terrace, Crieff (as a weekend house?); he never lived there but his father was living there in 1860, at which time there may have been a branch office there. About 1859-60 the practice was based at 6 North Charlotte Street which was his father's house and office, but in the latter year house and office were moved to 24 George Street. In or about the same year, Frederick became friendly with John Cowan, the paper-maker of Penicuik, whose diary records a continental tour undertaken with Pilkington in the early 1860s.
On 10 March 1861 Frederick Thomas's first wife died in childbirth, and he married Elizabeth Cropley from Ely five months later, first with a house at 27 St Bernard Crescent and then at 14 Cumin Place later in the same year.
By that date Pilkington had progressed from exhibiting at the RSA to actually building a series of ambitious geometrically planned churches, mostly with tall lucarned spires, boldly scaled naturalistic sculpture, and sometimes polychrome masonry, all of Ruskinian inspiration; in Venetian Romanesque form the style extended into his domestic practice in a series of large houses in Edinburgh, Port Glasgow, Penicuik and Walkerburn.
The father-and-son partnership ended in 1863 when Thomas went into semi-retirement in Kelso, perhaps as a result of undertaking the building of his son's Free Church there in the capacity of clerk-of-works. Frederick then transferred his office to 2 Hill Street.
Private and Business Addresses
|The following private or business addresses are associated with this architectural practice:|
| ||Address||Type||Date from||Date to||Notes|
|9, South East Circus Place, Edinburgh, Scotland||Business||1854 *|| || |
|10, Dundas Street, Edinburgh, Scotland||Business||c. 1855|| || |
|6, North Charlotte Street, Edinburgh, Scotland||Business||1859 *|| || |
|Inchglas, Broich Terrace, Crieff, Perthshire, Scotland||Business||1860 *|| ||Possibly used as a branch office|
|24, George Street, Edinburgh, Scotland||Business||1860||1863|| |
|2, Hill Street, Edinburgh, Scotland||Business||c. 1864||1883|| |
* earliest date known from documented sources.
Employment and Training
Employees or Pupils
|The following individuals were employed or trained by this architectural practice (click on an item to view details):|
| ||Name||Date from||Date to||Position||Notes|
|Frederick Thomas Pilkington||1854||1863(?)||Partner|| |
|Thomas Pilkington||1854||1863(?)||Senior Partner|| |
Buildings and Designs
|The following books contain references to this architectural practice:|
|Post Office Directories|| || || || || |