|Name:||James & Steadman|
|Bio Notes:||Richard Croft James was born in 1872 and educated at Clifton College, Bristol. He was articled to William Larkins Bernard of Bristol, 1889-92, and was assistant to the Burgh Surveyor (City Surveyor from 1895) from 1892 to 1896, the year in which he passed the qualifying exam and was admitted ARIBA on 30 November, his proposers being Bernard James, Henry LaTrobe, and Frederick Bligh Bond. He commenced independent practice in that year in partnership with Walter Stuckey Paul, and became FRIBA in 1906. |
In 1919 he entered into partnership with Vincent Steadman. Steadman had been articled to Frederick Bligh Bond of Bristol from 1892 to 1895, subsequently working as assistant to John Belcher in London. He passed the qualifying exam in 1898 and was admitted ARIBA on 4 December 1899, at or before which date he had returned to Bristol. He emigrated to Singapore to work for the Department of Public Works in 1906, commencing independent practice there the following year and subsequently working in partnership with William Basil Yeatman Draper and an unidentified 'Williams' from 1907 to 1911, and with Draper alone until 1913. In 1914 he joined the firm of Swan & Maclaren as an assistant, and he remained there until his return to Bristol in 1919.
Steadman died on 15 February 1931. In 1934 James formed a new partnership with Harold Edwrds Meredith, which lasted until 1940. He retired in 1945 and died at Westbury on Trym on 21 August 1949.
|The following private or business addresses are associated with this architectural practice:|
|Address||Type||Date from||Date to||Notes|
|31, Nicholas Street, Bristol, Somerset, England||Business||1919||After 1926|
|The following individuals were employed or trained by this architectural practice (click on an item to view details):|
|Name||Date from||Date to||Position||Notes|
|Richard Croft James||1919||After 1926||Partner|
|Vincent Steadmen||1919||After 1926||Partner|
|This architectural practice was involved with the following buildings or structures from the date specified (click on an item to view details):|
|Date started||Building name||Town, district or village||Island||City or county||Country||Notes|
|1922||East Lodge, Meggernie Castle||Perthshire||Scotland|
Currently, there are no references for this architectural practice. The information has been derived from: the British Architectural Library / RIBA Directory of British Architects 1834-1914; Post Office Directories; and/or any sources listed under this individual's works.
|© 2014, Dictionary of Scottish Architects|
|Website and database design by Codex Geodata|