Basic Biographical Details

Name: Heiton & McKay
Designation: Architectural practice
Started: 1922
Ended: Before 1932
Bio Notes: Andrew H Heiton Granger was born c.1862, and was the son of John Granger, a tenant farmer at Pitcur, Coupar Angus. He was educated at Perth Academy and at Fettes College and was presumably apprenticed to his uncle, Andrew Heiton Junior. He was assistant to his uncle from the early 1880s, and eventually became his partner. It is, however, likely that he had English experience as the first work with which his name is associated, the rebuilding of Hallyburton House for Graham Menzies (the proprietor of the Pitcur Estate) was English neo-Tudor, and quite different in character from the Scottish-, French- and German-influenced domestic work of his uncle. He took effective control of the practice in or about 1891 when his uncle became semi-retired, and lived with him at Darnick in Perth and at Darnick in Roxburghshire.

Andrew Heiton Junior died at Darnick, Perth of 'congestion of the brain' (presumably a stroke) on 3 March 1894 and was buried at Old Greyfriars on the fifth. On succeeding to the practice and the Darnick estate, Granger reversed his surnames to Andrew Granger Heiton. In the 1890s his domestic work was similar in character to that of J M Dick Peddie's practice with 'Old English' half-timbered gables and sash windows with astragalled upper sashes, and interiors of different periods reflecting the use of the rooms, Jacobean smoking rooms or billiard rooms and Louis Seize drawing rooms. After 1900 his tastes were more neo-Georgian, and like his uncle he was an important collector of antique furniture. The detail of the Perth Guildhall well exemplifies his refined outlook on design in his later years.

As a young man Andrew Granger Heiton was a prominent rugby player and cricketer, playing for Perthshire CC, and an enthusiastic volunteer, but he subsequently suffered from indifferent health. During the First World War he served as a captain in the Black Watch and was put in command of guarding the Highland line from Perth to Inverness, duties which took a further toll on his health in winter. By the early 1920s he was, according to Frank Thomson who was asked to complete his remodelling of Drumfork, in some difficulty in producing drawings for clients, and in 1922 he took John Sibbald McKay into partnership.

McKay had been born and brought up in Dumbarton, the son of James McKay, Jamesfield, Glasgow Road, Dumbarton and his wife. He had studied at Glasgow School of Architecture from 1907 until 1911 and had been articled to Alexander Cochrane Denny from 1906, remaining as assistant with the practice, which by 1911 had become Denny & Blain. He had assisted Heiton from 1913 to 1915, and had taken a position as assistant with John Burnet Son & Dick after the First World War in 1920, remaining there until he was taken into partnership by Heiton in 1922. He was admitted ARIBA under the war exemption scheme on 11 June the following year, his proposers being Charles Gourlay, Alexander Nisbet Paterson and William John Blain.

Heiton died on holiday at Harrogate in June 1927, survived by his widow and a daughter, Judy, who remained unmarried. The practice was continued by McKay. As well as being an Associate of the RIBA, McKay was a Fellow of the Dundee Institute of Architects by 1930 or 1931, at which time his address was 72 George Street, Perth.

McKay left the architectural profession in 1932 to train for the ministry and from 1934 was the minister of Galashiels Congregational Church. He died on 5 September 1938. He was survived by his widow Nessie Stirling.

Private and Business Addresses

The following private or business addresses are associated with this architectural practice:
 AddressTypeDate fromDate toNotes
Item 1 of 1Perth, Perthshire, ScotlandBusiness   

Employment and Training

Employees or Pupils

The following individuals were employed or trained by this architectural practice (click on an item to view details):
 NameDate fromDate toPositionNotes
Item 1 of 4John Sibbald McKay1922 Partner 
Item 2 of 4Andrew Granger Heiton (or Andrew H Heiton Granger)19221927Partner 
Item 3 of 4James Home Kerr Hislop19231924Assistant 
Item 4 of 4David Maxtone CraigSeptember 19241929Apprentice 

Buildings and Designs

This architectural practice was involved with the following buildings or structures from the date specified (click on an item to view details):
 Date startedBuilding nameTown, district or villageIslandCity or countyCountryNotes
Item 1 of 61923War MemorialKirkcaldy FifeScotland 
Item 2 of 61923War Memorial GardensKirkcaldy Fife  
Item 3 of 61925Kirkcaldy Museum, Art Gallery and Public LibraryKirkcaldy FifeScotlandMain building - McKay responsible
Item 4 of 61926Priory Park, sports pavilion and recreation groundKirkcaldy FifeScotland 
Item 5 of 61928Hillside HousePerth PerthshireScotlandAdditions to south
Item 6 of 61928Kirkcaldy Museum, Art Gallery and Public LibraryKirkcaldy FifeScotlandEast wing and lodge

References

Bibliographic References

The following books contain references to this architectural practice:
 Author(s)DateTitlePartPublisherNotes
Item 1 of 1Pride, Glen L1999The Kingdom of Fife2nd EditionThe Rutland Pressp56