Basic Biographical Details
|Name: ||John Marshall Hunter |
|Designation: ||Architect |
|Born: ||6 March 1881 |
|Died: ||2 July 1942 |
|Bio Notes: ||John Marshall Hunter was born on 6 March 1881 and was articled to David Woodburn Sturrock of Glasgow in August 1899, attending classes at the Glasgow School of Art and Glasgow & West of Scotland Technical College. At the end of his apprenticeship in August 1903 he joined the office of Clarke & Bell. Whilst there he became an Associate of the Glasgow Institute of Architects in 1907. He remained with the same firm until November 1910, James Hoey Craigie having been taken into partnership in 1905 when the firm became Clarke & Bell & J H Craigie. On leaving that firm Hunter emigrated to Canada where he joined the Canadian Pacific Railway Architect's Department in Montreal. He was admitted LRIBA in the mass intake of 20 July 1911 through the Glasgow Institute of Architects, his proposers being John Bennie Wilson, William Forsyth McGibbon, and his former employer George Bell. |
After leaving the Canadian Pacific Railways, Hunter moved to become as assistant in a large private firm of Montreal architects. They won the contract for the restoration of St Dunstan's Cathedral, Charlottetown, Prince Edward Island after a devastating fire in 1913. Hunter was given the responsibility of supervising this large job and moved to Charlottetown and was to remain there for the rest of his career.
Shortly after 1913 Hunter formed a friendship and later professional partnership with Charles Benjamin Chappell and the practice went on to design or reconstruct many commercial, ecclesiastical and residential buildings in the province.
Hunter was active in the social life of the province. He attended Charlottetown's Kirk of St James and his family was closely connected with another ex-patriot Scott, James Robertson Burnett, editor of the local 'Guardian' newspaper.
Hunter died on 2July 1942 and was buried in Cahrlottetown's Peoples' Cemetery.
Private and Business Addresses
|The following private or business addresses are associated with this architect:|
| ||Address||Type||Date from||Date to||Notes|
|4127, St Catherine Street, Westmount, Montreal, Canada||Private||1911 *|| || |
|Dunara, Lennoxtown, Stirlingshire, Scotland||Business||Before 1911|| || |
|2908, Cartier Street, Montreal, Canada||Business||1914||1915|| |
|15, Grafton Street, Charlottetown, Canada||Private||After 1915(?)|| || |
* earliest date known from documented sources.
Employment and Training
Buildings and Designs
|This architect was involved with the following buildings or structures from the date specified (click on an item to view details):|
| ||Date started||Building name||Town, district or village||Island||City or county||Country||Notes|
|1903||A & G Thomson's Warehouse|| || ||Glasgow||Scotland||Additions - 2 floors added - as chief assistant to Clarke & Bell (& J H Craigie)|
|1910||Justiciary Court Houses|| || ||Glasgow||Scotland||Complete rebuilding retaining portico - as chief assistant to Clarke & Bell & J H Craigie|
|The following books contain references to this architect:|
|British Architectural Library, RIBA||2001||Directory of British Architects 1834-1914|| || || |
|The following archives hold material relating to this architect:|
| ||Source||Archive Name||Source Catalogue No.||Notes|
|Professor David M Walker personal archive||Professor David M Walker, notes and collection of archive material|| ||Additional information from Iain Paterson|
|RIBA Archive, Victoria & Albert Museum||RIBA Nomination Papers|| ||L v18 no1358|