Basic Biographical Details
|Name: ||Alexander Allan Foote & Son |
|Designation: ||Architectural practice |
|Started: ||1 March 1946 |
|Ended: ||1982 |
|Bio Notes: ||Alexander Allan Foote (generally known as Alex) was born on 21 July 1886 and articled to Thomas Saunders Robertson of Dundee on 28 March 1902, studying at Dundee Technical College and School of Art. When Robertson retired in September 1904 he transferred to the office of John Bruce & Son to complete his apprenticeship, remaining as assistant until March 1907. He then moved to London to seek wider constructional experience, finding employment as chief draughtsman to Kleine Fire Resisting Syndicate Ltd and studying at Holloway Polytechnic. He was elected FSA Scot in 1909 and in March the following year left the Kleine Company to settle in Edinburgh and take up an appointment in H M Office of Works. Between then and 1913 he studied at Edinburgh School of Art, Heriot-Watt College and Leith Technical College. |
He passed the final exam in 1915 and in December that year he was sent to the Ministry of Munitions as HMOW representative for war buildings works in the Glasgow area. On completion of these works in May 1917 he entered the armed forces. He was demobilised on the request of the Office of Works in January 1919 and returned to that office as Acting Assistant Architect. He was admitted ARIBA in the middle of that year, his proposers being James Cumming Wynnes, John Watson and William Thomas Oldrieve. Later that year he transferred to the Department of Health for Scotland, where he held a number of positions including Assistant Architect for Housing.
He left the Department of Health in 1922 and commenced independent practice from his home at 92 Warrender Park Crescent, Edinburgh. He worked with no staff, only apprentices, often until midnight. He was responsible for a large output of domestic work and private developments. He was admitted FRIBA on 21 June 1937, proposed by William James Walker Todd, John Wilson and George Donaldson Macniven, by which time he had moved his office to 108 George Street. He closed his office on 1 October 1940 and joined the staff of the Scottish Special Housing Association where he tried to adopt RIAS standard house types on the estates it planned and was responsible for the engineering of the roads.
He resumed practice at 9 York Place in April 1945 and on 1 March 1946 he took his son, George Edward Foote into partnership as Alex Allan Foote & Son. The practice moved to 3 Grosvenor Gardens in 1966. Alexander Allan Foote died in 1969 and George Edward Foote in 1991, the practice having closed in 1982.
Private and Business Addresses
|The following private or business addresses are associated with this architectural practice:|
| ||Address||Type||Date from||Date to||Notes|
|9, York Place, Edinburgh, Scotland||Business||1 March 1946||1966|| |
|3, Grosvenor Gardens, Edinburgh, Scotland||Business||Before 1964||1982|| |
Employment and Training
Employees or Pupils
|The following individuals were employed or trained by this architectural practice (click on an item to view details):|
| ||Name||Date from||Date to||Position||Notes|
|Alexander Allan Foote||1 March 1946||1969||Partner|| |
|George Edward Foote||1 March 1946||1982||Partner|| |
Buildings and Designs
|The following books contain references to this architectural practice:|
|Municipal Annual||1964||Scottish Municipal Annual||1964-1965|| || |