Basic Biographical Details

Name: William Malcolm Guild
Designation: Architect
Born: 28 May 1907
Died: 10 November 1986
Bio Notes: William ('Bill') Malcolm Guild was born on 28 May 1907, the son of Charles Guild, joiner, and his wife Jessie Wood Malcolm. In February 1926 he was articled to Mills & Shepherd and remained with them after the end of his articles until April 1935. During that period he attended 5 year of evening classes in architecture at Dundee Technical College and School of Art.

In May 1935 he won a competition for a Children's Block at Glenlomond Sanatorium, Kinross and opened business on his own account at 16 Crossgate Cupar, remaining in practice there until May 1940 when it was closed and remained so for the duration of the war. At this point he took a salaried post with the Ministry of Works in George Street, Edinburgh.

Guild was admitted ARIBA on 18 April 1944, his proposers being John Donald Mills, Patrick Hill Thoms and William Salmond. At some point after the end of the war he closed his own practice for good and joined Mills & Shepherd. He became a partner. He remained in the Mills & Shepherd practice until he closed it in 1966, when he was sole partner.

Guild lived in Cupar in a modernist house, Sunstra in Brighton Road which he had designed for himself in 1938. He ceased to practice in Cupar about 1950 and after that did all his work from the the Dundee office of Mills & Shepherd. However after the closure of Mills & Shepherd, he continued to design from his home address in Brighton Road for some years.

In 1973 his wife Caroline Ferguson Mills reported to the RIBA that her husband had suffered a stroke 'six years ago'. He was unable to read or write and would therefore never work again. At this time he was still living in Cupar. He died on 10 November 1986 at his home in Cupar. He was survived by his wife.

Private and Business Addresses

The following private or business addresses are associated with this architect:
 AddressTypeDate fromDate toNotes
Item 1 of 422, South Uunion Street, Cupar, Fife, ScotlandPrivate 1986 
Item 2 of 416, Crossgate, Cupar, Fife, ScotlandBusinessMay 1935  
Item 3 of 4Sunstra, Brighton Road, Cupar, Fife, ScotlandPrivate/business1938After 1970 
Item 4 of 49, South Tay Street, Dundee, ScotlandBusinessBefore 19391966 

Employment and Training

Employers

The following individuals or organisations employed or trained this architect (click on an item to view details):
 NameDate fromDate toPositionNotes
Item 1 of 1Mills & Shepherd1937 or 1939After 1966Partner 

Employees or Pupils

The following individuals were employed or trained by this architect (click on an item to view details):
 NameDate fromDate toPositionNotes
Item 1 of 1William Lamond Galloway19361938AssistantAs assistant after office hours

RIBA

RIBA Proposers

The following individuals proposed this architect for RIBA membership (click on an item to view details):
 NameDate proposedNotes
Item 1 of 3John Donald Mills18 April 1944For Associateship
Item 2 of 3William Salmond18 April 1944For Associateship
Item 3 of 3Patrick Hill Thoms18 April 1944For Associateship

Buildings and Designs

This architect was involved with the following buildings or structures from the date specified (click on an item to view details):
 Date startedBuilding nameTown, district or villageIslandCity or countyCountryNotes
Item 1 of 261935Glenlomond SanatoriumKinross Kinross-shireScotlandChildren's block
Item 2 of 261936FirbankCupar FifeScotland 
Item 3 of 261936Two housesBlalowan, Cupar FifeScotland 
Item 4 of 26c. 1936FirbankCupar FifeScotland 
Item 5 of 261937University Court of St AndrewsSt Andrews FifeScotland 
Item 6 of 261938SunstraCupar FifeScotlandFor himself
Item 7 of 261939Observatory  DundeeScotland 
Item 8 of 261939University of St Andrews ObservatorySt Andrews FifeScotland 
Item 9 of 261940sBank of Scotland  DundeeScotland 
Item 10 of 261940sClydesdale Bank  DundeeScotland 
Item 11 of 261940sHouseCrieff PerthshireScotland 
Item 12 of 261940sHouses  DundeeScotland 
Item 13 of 261940sHousing scheme  DundeeScotland 
Item 14 of 261940sHousing schemeCrieff PerthshireScotland 
Item 15 of 261940sPrinting works with offices, canteen, 24 dark rooms and photo processing  DundeeScotland 
Item 16 of 26194141 North Castle StreetSt Andrews FifeScotlandRenovation and alterations
Item 17 of 261942BalmyleWest Ferry DundeeScotlandGates - survey for alterations?
Item 18 of 261948Blairgowrie CreameryBlairgowrie PerthshireScotland 
Item 19 of 261950sCentres for Territorial Army (TA) Association  DundeeScotlandPerhaps not involved
Item 20 of 261950sHead office and warehouse for Singer Sewing Machines Ltd  GlasgowScotland 
Item 21 of 26c. 1950Bonar Long Factory  DundeeScotland 
Item 22 of 26c. 1950New Ferry Station  DundeeScotland 
Item 23 of 261951EdgehillCupar FifeScotland 
Item 24 of 261952St Mary Magdalene's Episcopal Church  DundeeScotlandPossibly involved in unexecuted scheme for conversion to a Territorial Army centre
Item 25 of 261958Bungalow, MillbankCupar FifeScotland 
Item 26 of 261961Falkland Primary SchoolFalkland FifeScotlandAs joint project architect. (Not sure if this Bill Guild is the correct person.)

References

Bibliographic References

The following books contain references to this architect:
 Author(s)DateTitlePartPublisherNotes
Item 1 of 4Pride, Glen L1999The Kingdom of Fife2nd EditionThe Rutland Pressp111
Item 2 of 4RIBA1939The RIBA Kalendar 1939-1940 London: Royal Institute of British Architects 
Item 3 of 4RIBA1950The RIBA Kalendar 1950-1951 London: Royal Institute of British Architects 
Item 4 of 4RIBA1970RIBA Directory 1970   

Archive References

The following archives hold material relating to this architect:
 SourceArchive NameSource Catalogue No.Notes
Item 1 of 4Courtesy of Graham McNicolInformation sent to DMW Sent October 2010
Item 2 of 4H M Register HouseDeath Register  
Item 3 of 4Professor David M Walker personal archiveProfessor David M Walker, notes and collection of archive material Personal information from William M Guild
Item 4 of 4RIBA Archive, Victoria & Albert MuseumRIBA Nomination Papers A no 8332 (Combined Box 208) (Also William Lomond Galloway's Paper L 6650 (Box 1520))