Basic Biographical Details
|Name: ||Joseph Aloysius Hansom & Joseph Stanislaus Hansom |
|Designation: ||Architectural practice |
|Started: ||1869 |
|Ended: || |
|Bio Notes: ||Joseph Aloysius Hansom was born in York on 26 October 1803 of a Roman Catholic family. He was articled to his father as a joiner in York but having shown some ability in draughtsmanship was allowed to let his articles lapse with new ones taken out with 'Mr Philips', remaining as clerk of works. About 1825 he settled in Halifax and took a post as assistant to John Oates and there befriended Edward Welch, with whom he formed a partnership in 1828. He invented and patented the Hansom safety cab in 1834 but was bankrupted by the contract for Birmingham Town Hall in the same year, an event which may have contributed to his becoming a radical socialist. Welch then withdrew from the partnership, re-commencing practice in Liverpool in 1837. |
In 1842 Hansom founded 'The Builder' and from 1847 to 1852 he practised in Preston, Lancashire. After the practice moved to London he took his brother Charles Francis Hansom into partnership in 1854 but this was dissolved in 1859 when Charles established an independent practice in Bath with his son Edward Joseph Hansom as apprentice. In 1862 Joseph formed a partnership with Edward Welby Pugin which broke up acrimoniously in 1863, Joseph thereafter (1869) taking his son Joseph Stanislaus into partnership. Joseph Stanislaus designed the great churches of the Holy Name at Manchester and St Philip Neri at Arundel and may well have had a hand in the very original St Mary's Lochee in 1865.
The elder Hansom retired on 31 December 1879 and died at 399 Fulham Road, London, on 29 June 1882. His son continued the practice as sole partner after his retirement, and was admitted FRIBA on 3 January 1881, his proposers being George Godwin and Robert William Edis. He died on 7 November 1931.
Private and Business Addresses
|The following private or business addresses are associated with this architectural practice:|
| ||Address||Type||Date from||Date to||Notes|
|London, England||Business|| || || |
Employment and Training
Employees or Pupils
Buildings and Designs
|This architectural practice was involved with the following buildings or structures from the date specified (click on an item to view details):|
| ||Date started||Building name||Town, district or village||Island||City or county||Country||Notes|
|1871||St Duthac's Church||Dornie|| ||Ross and Cromarty||Scotland|| |
|1876||St Benedict's Abbey||Fort Augustus|| ||Inverness-shire||Scotland||Converted from barracks. Also gatelodge|
Currently, there are no references for this architectural practice. The information has been derived from: the British Architectural Library / RIBA Directory of British Architects 1834-1914; Post Office Directories; and/or any sources listed under this individual's works.