Basic Biographical Details
|Name: ||W H Howie & H D Walton |
|Designation: ||Architectural practice |
|Started: ||1888 |
|Ended: ||1894 |
|Bio Notes: ||William Holmes Howie was born in Helensburgh in 1858, the son of James Homes Howie, physician and his wife Mary B Stevenson who came from Kilbarchan. He |
was educated at Glasgow High School. He was articled to James Boucher of Boucher & Cousland from 1876 to 1881, after which he spent five months travelling in Italy. Unusually for an assistant in a practice outwith the Campbell Douglas & Sellars circle, he secured a place with John James Stevenson (1881-84), enabling him to study at the Royal Academy Schools, and was thereafter an assistant with William Young.
He commenced practice in Glasgow in 1888, at first in partnership with Henry Denison Walton, who had been a fellow student at the RA Schools and a colleague in Young's office. Walton had been born at 16 Lanark Street, Glasgow on 10 November 1862, the son of John Walton, waste and flock manufacturer, and his wife Mary Denison. His father had been born in Glasgow; no family connection to George Henry Walton was known to Camilla Uytman (née Walton), although the fact that both worked on St Peter's Episcopal Church, Glasgow within a short period of each other suggests that there may have been a link. Henry Denison Walton had been educated at Paisley Grammar School and Glasgow Academy, and articled to James Milne Monro from 1877 to 1882, attending classes at Glasgow School of Art. In 1883 he had moved to London as assistant first to James Cubitt for a year, then to Robert William Edis for two years and finally to Young, for whom he had returned to Glasgow as resident architect and clerk of works on Glasgow City Chambers. During his London years, as well as studying at the Royal Academy Schools, Walton had attended classes at the Architectural Association: he had been RA Silver Medallist in 1884, Architectural Association Travelling Student in 1885 and Pugin Student in 1886. These had enabled him to travel in the Cotswolds, Germany, France, Holland, Belgium and Italy prior to commencing practice in partnership with Howie.
The partnership adopted the practice title of W H Howie & H D Walton, and was initially supported by Walton's continuing role as clerk of works at the City Chambers under William Young, but was dissolved in 1894.
Private and Business Addresses
|The following private or business addresses are associated with this architectural practice:|
| ||Address||Type||Date from||Date to||Notes|
|131, West Regent Street, Glasgow, Scotland||Business||1889 *|| || |
* earliest date known from documented sources.
Employment and Training
Employees or Pupils
Buildings and Designs
Currently, there are no references for this architectural practice. The information has been derived from: the British Architectural Library / RIBA Directory of British Architects 1834-1914; Post Office Directories; and/or any sources listed under this individual's works.