Basic Biographical Details
|Name: ||John Henry Forshaw |
|Designation: ||Architect |
|Born: ||1895 |
|Died: ||1973 |
|Bio Notes: ||John Henry Forshaw was born in 1895. He studied architecture at the University of Liverpool. He had wide experience in private practice in England and in the United States. He was chief architect of the Miners' Welfare Committee in the 1930s, and entering the service the London County Council in the July 1939 as Deputy Architect and became Architect to the Council and Superintending Architect of Metropolitan Buildings in July 1941 on the retirement of Frederick Robert Hiorns. |
During the Second World War in addition to his normal duties he also led the London Heavy Rescue Service. This led to directing the War Debris Organisation which oversaw the disposal of debris from air raids.
As Architect to the LCC, in 1943 he was commissioned to prepare, in collaboration with Patrick Abercrombie, Professor of Town Planning at University College London, the County of London Plan for the rebuilding and development of London after the Second World War.
In December 1945 Forshaw left the LCC to assume the office of Chief Architect and Housing Consultant to the Ministry of Health.
He died in 1973.
Private and Business Addresses
|The following private or business addresses are associated with this architect:|
| ||Address||Type||Date from||Date to||Notes|
|London, England||Business|| || || |
Employment and Training
* earliest date known from documented sources.
Employees or Pupils
|The following individuals were employed or trained by this architect (click on an item to view details):|
| ||Name||Date from||Date to||Position||Notes|
|Maurice Ewan Taylor||1935|| ||Assistant|| |
Buildings and Designs
|This architect was involved with the following buildings or structures from the date specified (click on an item to view details):|
| ||Date started||Building name||Town, district or village||Island||City or county||Country||Notes|
|1932||Aitken Colliery, Pithead Baths||Kelty|| ||Fife||Scotland||In overall charge of Miners' Welfare Commission, architect's department|
|1932||Lumphinnans Colliery, Pithead Baths||Lumphinnans|| ||Fife||Scotland||In overall charge woth Dempster having responsibility for Northern area|
|1933||Cardowan Colliery, Pithead Baths||Cardowan|| ||Lanarkshire||Scotland||Assisted Joihn Austin Dempster in the design|
|1933||Minto Colliery, Pithead Baths||Lochgelly|| ||Fife||Scotland||In overall charge of Miner's Welfare Commission Architects' Department|
|1934||Lochhead Colliery, Pithead Baths||East Wemyss|| ||Fife||Scotland||Extensions - with J A Dempster as job architect|
|1935||Bowhill Colliery, pithead baths||Bowhill, Auchterderran|| ||Fife||Scotland||In overall charge of the Miners' Welfare Commission, Architects' Department|
|1935||Michael Colliery, Pithead Baths||East Wemyss|| ||Fife||Scotland||In overall charge of Miners' Welfare Commission Architect's Department|
|1935||Pithead Baths||East Wemyss|| ||Fife||Scotland||Oversaw general direction of Miners' Welfare Commission building schemes, but J A Dempster was responsible for design and execution|
|1938||Pithead Baths||Mauchline|| ||Ayrshire||Scotland||As architect for Miners Welfare Committee|
|1938||Wellesley Colliery, Pithead Baths||Methil|| ||Fife||Scotland|| |
|c. 1943||County of London Plan|| || ||London||England|| |
|The following books contain references to this architect:|
|Glendinning, Miles||2008||Modern architect: the life and times of Robert Matthew|| ||RIBA Publishing||p80-1,85,112|
|McKean, Charles||1987||The Scottish Thirties: An Architectural Introduction|| ||Edinburgh: Scottish Academic Press||p116|
|The following archives hold material relating to this architect:|
| ||Source||Archive Name||Source Catalogue No.||Notes|
|London Metropolitan Archives ||Biographical volumes on Council architects || || |