Basic Biographical Details
|Name: ||George Topham Forrest |
|Designation: ||Architect |
|Born: ||1872 |
|Died: ||31 March 1945 |
|Bio Notes: ||George Topham Forrest was born in 1872 and educated at Aberdeen Grammar School. He was articled to Brown and Watt in 1890, taking classes at Robert Gordon's College. On completion of his apprenticeship in 1894 he moved to London to the office of John Macvicar Anderson as improver, which enabled him to take classes at King's College and attend the Architectural Association studios. His subsequent career was entirely in local government, firstly in Leeds City Engineer's Office, where he was chief assistant from 1898 to 1899 and was mainly occupied with superintending improvements to working-class housing, and then at West Riding County Architect's Department, where he was principal assistant under J Vickers Edwards from 1899 to 1905, initially occupied with asylum work but being given full charge of county education work in 1903. In 1905 he obtained an appointment Education Architect to Northumberland County Council, for which he was one of 150 applicants. He was still there when he was admitted LRIBA on 27 February 1911, his proposers being George Watt of Aberdeen and Henry Clement Charlewood and Andrew Kerr Tasker of Newcastle. |
In 1914 he was appointed Essex County Architect, undertaking further work on schools, asylums, police stations and county buildings. He was elected FRIBA in early 1919, his proposers being Arthur Beresford Pite, Brook Taylor Kitchin and Harry George Crothall. In that year he succeeded W E Riley as architect to London County Council and remained there until retiring in 1935. There he was responsible for many large estates of council housing including White Hart Lane (from 192) Becontree (also 1921) amd the new Lambeth Bridge (1932) with Sir Reginald Blomfield.
He wrote a number of papers on county council work, and on school design in particular, which were read before several societies and published in the professional journals.
Forrest retired to Scotland in about 1943 and died at Port Appin on 31 March 1945.
Private and Business Addresses
|The following private or business addresses are associated with this architect:|
| ||Address||Type||Date from||Date to||Notes|
|4, The Grove, Gosforth, Newcastle upon Tyne, England||Private||1911 *|| || |
|The Moothall, Newcastle upon Tyne, England||Business||1911 *|| || |
|Middlefield, Hatfield Parnel, Essex, England||Private||1918 *|| || |
|County Offices, Chelmsford, Essex, England||Business||1919 *|| || |
* earliest date known from documented sources.
Employment and Training
Employees or Pupils
|The following individuals were employed or trained by this architect (click on an item to view details):|
| ||Name||Date from||Date to||Position||Notes|
|Robert Robertson||1919||After 1930||Chief Assistant||in LCC Architects Department - Chief Assistant Architect|
|The following periodicals contain references to this architect:|
| ||Periodical Name||Date||Edition||Publisher||Notes|
|Builder||13 April 1945|| || ||Obituary|
|Scotsman||11 June 1945|| || ||Obituary p3|
|The following archives hold material relating to this architect:|
| ||Source||Archive Name||Source Catalogue No.||Notes|
|Professor David M Walker personal archive||Professor David M Walker, notes and collection of archive material|| ||Additional information from Graham Potts|
|RIBA Archive, Victoria & Albert Museum||RIBA Nomination Papers|| ||L v10 no571 (microfilm reel 32); F no1644 (microfilm reel 14)|