Basic Biographical Details

Name: William Frame
Designation: Architect
Born: 1848
Died: April 1906
Bio Notes: William Frame was born in 1848 and articled to William Smith of Trowbridge for five years, thereafter becoming assistant to John Pritchard of Llandaff. In 1868 he entered the office of William Burges, worked on Cardiff Castle, and was clerk of works on the restoration of Castell Coch in 1876. During these years he won the Royal Academy's gold medal and the Soane Medallion in 1873.

After Burges's death in 1881, Frame became architect to the Third Marquess of Bute in Cardiff and remained in Bute employment until his death in April 1906 despite problems with alcoholism from at least 1890. He was admitted ARIBA on 12 June 1876, his proposers being Burges, J P Seddon and T H Wyatt, but allowed his membership to lapse in 1900.

The job list consists only of work in Scotland.

Private and Business Addresses

The following private or business addresses are associated with this architect:
 AddressTypeDate fromDate toNotes
Item 1 of 2Trowbridge, Wiltshire, EnglandBusiness   
Item 2 of 2Cardiff, WalesBusiness18681906 

Employment and Training


The following individuals or organisations employed or trained this architect (click on an item to view details):
 NameDate fromDate toPositionNotes
Item 1 of 2John Pritchardc. 1858Before 1868Assistant 
Item 2 of 2William Burges18681881Assistant 

Employees or Pupils

The following individuals were employed or trained by this architect (click on an item to view details):
 NameDate fromDate toPositionNotes
Item 1 of 2Harry Smith Fairhurstc. 1892(?)1895Assistant 
Item 2 of 2Henry Sesom-Hiley1911(?) * AssistantIn Bute Estate office at Cardiff

* earliest date known from documented sources.

Buildings and Designs

This architect was involved with the following buildings or structures from the date specified (click on an item to view details):
 Date startedBuilding nameTown, district or villageIslandCity or countyCountryNotes
Item 1 of 81868Cardiff Castle  CardiffWalesExtensive remodelling - as assistant to William Burges
Item 2 of 81880sCorrugated iron cathedralOban ArgyllScotlandFurnishings
Item 3 of 81880Mount StuartRothesay (near)ButeButeScotlandFitting of dining room and 3 principal bedrooms
Item 4 of 81886Mount StuartRothesay (near)ButeButeScotlandDecoration (designs of Rowand Anderson?) carried out. Campbell Smith, H W Lonsdale and Thomas Nicholls were craftsmen. See Crook (2013) for detialed account) - chimneypieces, panelling, doorcases and ceilings (some of Anderson's woodwork discarded as not good enough) and the astrologival sitting room in its entirety.
Item 5 of 81886RC Church of St Edward the ConfessorSandayCannaInverness-shireScotland 
Item 6 of 81889Archbishop's Chapel  EdinburghScotlandChapel interior designed for House of Falkland, transferred to Edinburgh for the Archbishop's Chapel in the early 1900s
Item 7 of 81889Falkland PalaceFalkland FifeScotlandPalace measurement with a view to restoration
Item 8 of 81889House of FalklandFalkland FifeScotlandRemodelling of entrance hall of house; interior work of chapel executed but subsequently dismantled and later re-erected by R Weir Schultz in archepiscopal chapel at Greenhill, Edinburgh. Dismissed from Falkland October 1890. (According to Hannah he was unwell in 1889 and had difficulty breathing and in November 1889 was dismissed for drunkenness)


Bibliographic References

The following books contain references to this architect:
Item 1 of 1British Architectural Library, RIBA2001Directory of British Architects 1834-1914