Basic Biographical Details

Name: Wallace & Flockhart
Designation: Architectural practice
Started: c. 1880
Ended: c. 1883
Bio Notes: William Wallace was articled to Campbell Douglas & Stevenson. By 1871 he was in London and was associated with Daniel Cottier the stained-glass artist and John McKean Brydon, also from Campbell Douglas & Stevenson's, in founding the decorators Morris & Co of Langham Place, London and was briefly in partnership with Brydon in 1880 before forming a partnership with his assistant William Flockhart. Flockhart had been born in Glasgow in 1852 or 1853, the son of William Flockhart, tailor and clothier, and Margaret Gibson. There was a family link of some kind to Sir William Flockhart of Duncan Flockhart & Co, Edinburgh, the chemists who developed chloroform. In 1870-75 he had been articled to Adamson & McLeod and had taken classes at Glasgow School of Art where he was a prize-winner in 1871-72. From Adamson & McLeod's he had moved to Campbell Douglas & Sellars as assistant. He had entered Wallace's office in 1879 or 1880, after a year of study in London and Paris. His earliest commission was the addition of a tower and spire to Newhaven Free Church where Sir William Flockhart was a member of the congregation. On 9 September 1880 he married Christine Lochhead at her home, 33 Granville Street, Glasgow, the minister being A A Bonnar of Finnieston Free Church, on which he had worked when with Sellars, his own address being given as 15 Marlborough Place, St James Wood.

The partnership of Wallace & Flockhart was dissolved c.1883.

Private and Business Addresses

The following private or business addresses are associated with this architectural practice:
 AddressTypeDate fromDate toNotes
Item 1 of 127a, Old Bond Street, London, EnglandBusiness   

Employment and Training

Employees or Pupils

The following individuals were employed or trained by this architectural practice (click on an item to view details):
 NameDate fromDate toPositionNotes
Item 1 of 4Thomas MacLaren1880 Apprentice 
Item 2 of 4William Flockhartc. 1880c. 1883Partner 
Item 3 of 4William Wallacec. 1880c. 1883Partner 
Item 4 of 4John Thomson1881Before 1885Assistant 

Buildings and Designs

This architectural practice was involved with the following buildings or structures from the date specified (click on an item to view details):
 Date startedBuilding nameTown, district or villageIslandCity or countyCountryNotes
Item 1 of 4188115 Fitzjohn's AvenueHampstead LondonEnglandInternal alterations to existing house
Item 2 of 41881“The Lothians,” Hampstead Hampstead LondonEngland 
Item 3 of 41882Old Newhaven Free ChurchNewhaven EdinburghScotlandRecasting of church and addition of tower and spire. New vestry added.
Item 4 of 41883Presbyterian ChurchRichmond upon Thames SurreyEngland 

References

Currently, there are no references for this architectural practice. The information has been derived from: the British Architectural Library / RIBA Directory of British Architects 1834-1914; Post Office Directories; and/or any sources listed under this individual's works.