Basic Biographical Details

Name: William Adam Forsyth
Designation: Architect
Born: 1872
Died: 5 November 1951
Bio Notes: William Adam Forsyth was born in 1872 and articled to Colonel Robert William Edis in 1889, and remained as an assistant, taking classes at the Architectural Association. He worked as assistant to John McKean Brydon c.1895-96. He passed the qualifying exam in 1894, and travelled in Holland and Belgium. Forsyth was admitted ARIBA on 11 March 1895, his proposers being R W Edis, H W Pratt and F T W Goldsmith. He commended practice in partnership with Hugh Patrick Guarin Maule in 1896, and remained in partnership until 1929. Thereafter he continued practice as W A Forsyth & Partners with Leslie Robert Foreman and Edward Charles Butler. Forsyth died on 5 November 1951.

Private and Business Addresses

The following private or business addresses are associated with this architect:
 AddressTypeDate fromDate toNotes
Item 1 of 614, Fitzroy Square, London, EnglandPrivate1895 *  
Item 2 of 616, Great Marlborough Street, London, EnglandBusinessBefore 1898After 1906 
Item 3 of 67, Crossfield Avenue, Hampstead, London, EnglandPrivate1906 *  
Item 4 of 6309, Oxford Street, London, EnglandBusiness1914 *  
Item 5 of 612, Stratford Place, London, EnglandBusinessBefore 1924After 1926 
Item 6 of 647, Nottingham Place, London, EnglandPrivate1950  

* earliest date known from documented sources.


Employment and Training

Employers

The following individuals or organisations employed or trained this architect (click on an item to view details):
 NameDate fromDate toPositionNotes
Item 1 of 4(Sir) Robert William Edis1889 ApprenticeRemained as assistant
Item 2 of 4John McKean Brydonc. 1895c. 1896Assistant 
Item 3 of 4Forsyth & Maule18961929Partner 
Item 4 of 4W A Forsyth & PartnersAfter 1929 Partner 

RIBA

RIBA Proposals

This architect proposed the following individuals for RIBA membership (click on an item to view details):
 NameDate proposedNotes
Item 1 of 2William Finlayson4 July 1910for Licentiateship
Item 2 of 2Andrew Laurence Noel Russell1912 

Buildings and Designs

This architect was involved with the following buildings or structures from the date specified (click on an item to view details):
 Date startedBuilding nameTown, district or villageIslandCity or countyCountryNotes
Item 1 of 21925St Andrew and St George Episcopal ChurchRosyth FifeScotlandBuilt of concrete with stone details, in collaboration with J N Comper; nave remained unbuilt
Item 2 of 21928Kinnaird HouseLittle Dunkeld PerthshireScotlandLarge additions and alterations

References

Currently, there are no references for this architect. The information has been derived from: the British Architectural Library / RIBA Directory of British Architects 1834-1914; Post Office Directories; and/or any sources listed under this individual's works.