Basic Biographical Details

Name: Charles Cleland Harvey
Designation: Architect
Born: 1881 or 1882
Died: 3 April 1916
Bio Notes: Charles Cleland Harvey was born in 1881 or 1882, the third son of Robert Harvey, H M Inspector of Schools. He was educated at Ayr Academy and Royal Technical College, Glasgow and was an assistant in Sir John James Burnet's Glasgow office from at least 1911 until 1914 and was the job architect for the restoration of Duart Castle. He was well-known in antiquarian circles in Glasgow as Recording Secretary of the Provand's Lordship Club and an authority on seals and heraldry. He was the author of "of numerous pamphlets on subjects connected with Scottish national history" and wrote a book on the St Andrews Cross as the national arms of Scotland. He had been engaged in compiling a calendar of Yester MSS when the First World War broke out. He enlisted as a private in the 9th HLI and was commissioned as Lieutenant with the Argyll and Sutherland Highlanders six months later. He died of wounds, aged 33, in France on 3 April 1916.

Private and Business Addresses

The following private or business addresses are associated with this architect:
 AddressTypeDate fromDate toNotes
Item 1 of 1Glasgow, ScotlandBusiness   

Employment and Training

Employers

The following individuals or organisations employed or trained this architect (click on an item to view details):
 NameDate fromDate toPositionNotes
Item 1 of 1(Sir) John James Burnet1911(?) *1915Assistant 

* earliest date known from documented sources.


Buildings and Designs

This architect was involved with the following buildings or structures from the date specified (click on an item to view details):
 Date startedBuilding nameTown, district or villageIslandCity or countyCountryNotes
Item 1 of 11911Duart CastleCraignure (near)MullArgyllScotlandJob architect for execution of Burnet restoration scheme.

References

Periodical References

The following periodicals contain references to this architect:
 Periodical NameDateEditionPublisherNotes
Item 1 of 2Celtic Monthly1916  pp104-105
Item 2 of 2RIBA Journal15 April 1916 London: Royal Institute of British ArchitectsObituary p210