Basic Biographical Details

Name: Chalmers & Robson
Designation: Architectural practice
Started: c. 1885
Ended: Before 1889
Bio Notes: James Chalmers was born at 14 Kelvinhaugh Street, Glasgow in 1858, the son of James Chalmers, boot and shoe manufacturer, and his wife Helen McLaren. He commenced practice there c.1882. Information on his early career is lacking, but he seems to have some connection with Alexander George Thomson, and by 1884 his firm had a branch office in Bloomgate, Lanark. He was in partnership with Andrew Robson from 1885 as Chalmers & Robson; this partnership was dissolved by 1889.

Private and Business Addresses

The following private or business addresses are associated with this architectural practice:
 AddressTypeDate fromDate toNotes
Item 1 of 1101, St Vincent Street, Glasgow, ScotlandBusiness1885Before 1889 

Employment and Training

Employees or Pupils

The following individuals were employed or trained by this architectural practice (click on an item to view details):
 NameDate fromDate toPositionNotes
Item 1 of 3Charles Gourlay18851887Assistant 
Item 2 of 3James Chalmers1885Before 1889Partner 
Item 3 of 3Andrew RobsonBefore 1885Before 1889Partner 

Buildings and Designs

This architectural practice was involved with the following buildings or structures from the date specified (click on an item to view details):
 Date startedBuilding nameTown, district or villageIslandCity or countyCountryNotes
Item 1 of 11887Grantshouse Free ChurchGrantshouse BerwickshireScotland 

References

Currently, there are no references for this architectural practice. The information has been derived from: the British Architectural Library / RIBA Directory of British Architects 1834-1914; Post Office Directories; and/or any sources listed under this individual's works.