Basic Biographical Details
|Name: ||McCulloch & Jamieson |
|Designation: ||Architectural practice |
|Started: ||1894 |
|Ended: || |
|Bio Notes: ||Alexander McCulloch was born in West Fife and commenced his career with practical training in the building trade with a 'leading establishment' in Edinburgh. He studied at Heriot-Watt and in 1864 became assistant to Charles Macpherson, Edinburgh's burgh engineer. In 1868 he commenced the University of Edinburgh's engineering course, winning its first prize and medal in 1870, and was employed by Professor Fleming Jenkin to make illustrations and lecture diagrams. In 1872 he was appointed first assistant to William Mackison, Dundee's Burgh Engineer, in succession to Watson who became water engineer. In 1875 he resigned to set up practice in Dundee as a civil engineer and in mid-1876 he formed the Dundee and Edinburgh civil engineering and architectural partnership of McCulloch & Fairley with James Graham Fairley whom he had known in Macpherson's office. |
The partnership of McCulloch & Fairley had a formal existence of only about three years, but remained effective for at least another eight years, McCulloch continuing to obtain Fairley's assistance for any major architectural commission that came his way, most notably at the French Renaissance Girls' High School (1886) in Dundee, one of the finest Scottish buildings of the 1880s.
McCulloch was admitted AMICE in 1885. He took an active part in Dundee public life, becoming a volunteer officer in 1878, a councillor in 1883, and Convener of the Works Committee of the Water Commission in 1884, having a major hand in the design and construction of the aqueduct from Lintrathen to Clatto. He subsequently had a similar advisory role in the design of the Esplanade, succeeding in changing its design from serpentine to straight. He became a Baillie in 1886, but subsequently resigned to apply for the post of City Water Engineer and was surprised to find himself an unsuccessful candidate.
In 1885 McCulloch engaged as assistant George Jamieson, probably because the time Fairley could give to McCulloch's practice was becoming limited. Jamieson had been born in 1862 and had been articled to Alexander Hutcheson of Dundee from 1875 to 1879, remaining as improver until 1881. He had then spent four years in the office of James Maclaren before becoming McCulloch's chief assistant.
McCulloch took Jamieson into partnership in 1894. Around the same time McCulloch moved to Edinburgh where he appears to have been briefly in partnership with his son Robert McCulloch at 3 Bernard Street, Leith, whilst Jamieson carried out all of the firm's Dundee business himself.
Jamieson was a member of the Dundee Institute of Architecture, Science and Art (later the Dundee Institute of Architects) from its inception in 1884, acting as its joint secretary from 1892 to 1894 and serving on its Council from 1895 to 1897. He was admitted LRIBA on 27 February 1911, his proposers being Leslie Ower, John Donald Mills and Godfrey Daniel Bower Shepherd. At that date the address of the practice was 20 Whitehall Street. His works in independent practice were few, mainly alterations for Dundee Eastern Co-operative Society in Peter Street and elsewhere. He died in January 1939.
Private and Business Addresses
|The following private or business addresses are associated with this architectural practice:|
| ||Address||Type||Date from||Date to||Notes|
|20, Whitehall Street, Dundee, Scotland||Business||Before 1910||After 1930|| |
Employment and Training
Employees or Pupils
Buildings and Designs
|This architectural practice was involved with the following buildings or structures from the date specified (click on an item to view details):|
| ||Date started||Building name||Town, district or village||Island||City or county||Country||Notes|
|After 1894||Fenchurch Buildings|| || ||Dundee||Scotland|| |
|After 1894||Southfield||Wormit|| ||Fife||Scotland|| |
|1896||Errol Terrace, Victoria Road|| || ||Dundee||Scotland|| |
|1911||Post Office||Newport-on-Tay|| ||Fife||Scotland|| |
|1913||Masonic Hall|| || ||Dundee||Scotland||Reconstruction|
|The following periodicals contain references to this architectural practice:|
| ||Periodical Name||Date||Edition||Publisher||Notes|
|Builder||27 January 1939|| || ||Obituary of Jamieson|
|The Piper of Dundee||*|| || ||Biography of McCulloch - CHECK date|
|The following archives hold material relating to this architectural practice:|
| ||Source||Archive Name||Source Catalogue No.||Notes|
|Professor David M Walker personal archive||Professor David M Walker, notes and collection of archive material|| ||Personal information on McCulloch from Harry Band|