Basic Biographical Details

Name: George Jamieson
Designation: Architect
Born: 1862
Died: January 1939
Bio Notes: George Jamieson was born in 1862 and was articled to Alexander Hutcheson of Dundee from 1875 to 1879, remaining as improver until 1881. He then spent four years in the office of James Maclaren before becoming chief assistant to Alexander McCulloch, who took him into partnership in 1894. Around the same time McCulloch moved to Edinburgh, Jamieson thereafter carrying out all the firm's Dundee business himself.

Jamieson was a member of the Dundee Institute of Architecture, Science and Art (later the Dundee Institute of Architects) from its inception in 1884, acting as its joint secretary from 1892 to 1894 and serving on its Council from 1895 to 1897. He was admitted LRIBA on 27 February 1911, his proposers being Leslie Ower, John Donald Mills and Godfrey Daniel Bower Shepherd. At that date the address of the practice was 20 Whitehall Street. His works in independent practice were few, mainly alterations for Dundee Eastern Co-operative Society in Peter Street and elsewhere. He died in January 1939.

Private and Business Addresses

The following private or business addresses are associated with this architect:
 AddressTypeDate fromDate toNotes
Item 1 of 219, Blackness Avenue, Dundee, ScotlandPrivate1910 *  
Item 2 of 220, Whitehall Street, Dundee, ScotlandBusinessBefore 1910After 1930 

* earliest date known from documented sources.


Employment and Training

Employers

The following individuals or organisations employed or trained this architect (click on an item to view details):
 NameDate fromDate toPositionNotes
Item 1 of 5Alexander Hutcheson18751879Apprentice 
Item 2 of 5Alexander Hutcheson18791881Improver 
Item 3 of 5James Maclaren18811885Junior Assistant 
Item 4 of 5Alexander McCulloch18851894Chief AssistantBecame a partner 1894
Item 5 of 5McCulloch & Jamieson1894 Partner 

RIBA

RIBA Proposers

The following individuals proposed this architect for RIBA membership (click on an item to view details):
 NameDate proposedNotes
Item 1 of 3John Donald Mills27 February 1911for Licentiateship
Item 2 of 3Leslie Ower27 February 1911for Licentiateship
Item 3 of 3Godfrey Daniel Bower Shepherd27 February 1911for Licentiateship

Buildings and Designs

This architect was involved with the following buildings or structures from the date specified (click on an item to view details):
 Date startedBuilding nameTown, district or villageIslandCity or countyCountryNotes
Item 1 of 111885Tenement of mansion flats, Singleton Place, Baxter Park Terrace  DundeeScotlandAs chief assistant to Alexander McCulloch
Item 2 of 111886High School for Girls  DundeeScotlandAs assistant to Alexander McCulloch
Item 3 of 111889St Paul's Cathedral Schools  DundeeScotlandAs assistant to Alexander McCulloch
Item 4 of 111890Ward Road public gymnasium  DundeeScotlandAs assistant to Alexander McCulloch
Item 5 of 11After 1894Fenchurch Buildings  DundeeScotland 
Item 6 of 11After 1894SouthfieldWormit FifeScotland 
Item 7 of 111896Errol Terrace, Victoria Road  DundeeScotland 
Item 8 of 111911Post OfficeNewport-on-Tay FifeScotland 
Item 9 of 111913Masonic Hall  DundeeScotlandReconstruction
Item 10 of 111914Virginia Buildings  DundeeScotlandAlterations
Item 11 of 111933Cramond Free Church  EdinburghScotlandAlterations to hall

References

Periodical References

The following periodicals contain references to this architect:
 Periodical NameDateEditionPublisherNotes
Item 1 of 1Builder27 January 1939   Obituary

Archive References

The following archives hold material relating to this architect:
 SourceArchive NameSource Catalogue No.Notes
Item 1 of 1RIBA Archive, Victoria & Albert MuseumRIBA Nomination Papers L v10 no538 (microfilm reel 32)