Basic Biographical Details
|Name: ||Dunn & Hansom |
|Designation: ||Architectural practice |
|Started: ||1871 |
|Ended: ||After 1903 |
|Bio Notes: ||Archibald Matthias Dunn was born in 1832, the son of Matthias Dunn, Colliery Viewer and Government Inspector of Mines, and was brought up in a strict Catholic household. He was educated at Ushaw and Stoneyhurst and was articled to Charles Francis Hansom in Bristol, setting up business in Newcastle upon Tyne in 1854. Edward Joseph Hansom was taken into partnership in 1871. Hansom had been born on 22 October 1842, the son of Charles Francis Hansom and the nephew of Joseph Aloysius Hansom, and had been articled to his father in Bath in 1859 and taken into partnership in 1867, by which time the practice had moved to Bristol. He had remained there until joining Dunn in 1871. |
Dunn's son, Archibald Manuel Dunn, had been taken into partnership in 1887. In 1894 W Ellison Fenwicke, who was a friend of Dunn, was also taken into partnership but the younger Dunn withdrew in 1903. Fenwicke continued the practice with various partners and under various styles, the final practice being Dunn Hansom & Fenwicke although Fenwicke by then was the only active partner.
The practice specialised in Catholic commissions and many local churches in the Newcastle area have some work by them.
Hansom died on 27 May 1900; Dunn died in 1917.
Private and Business Addresses
|The following private or business addresses are associated with this architectural practice:|
| ||Address||Type||Date from||Date to||Notes|
|Newcastle upon Tyne, England||Business|| || || |
Employment and Training
Employees or Pupils
Buildings and Designs
|The following periodicals contain references to this architectural practice:|
| ||Periodical Name||Date||Edition||Publisher||Notes|
|Builder||2 June 1900|| || ||Obituary of Edward Joseph Hansom|
|Builder||4 May 1917|| || ||Obituary of Archibald Matthias Dunn|
|Building News||1 June 1900|| || ||Death notice of Edward Joseph Hansom|
|Building News||8 June 1900|| || ||Obituary of Edward Joseph Hansom|
|RIBA Journal||16 June 1900|| ||London: Royal Institute of British Architects||Obituary of Edward Joseph Hansom|