Basic Biographical Details

Name: Campbell Douglas & Paterson
Designation: Architectural practice
Started: Early 1903
Ended: 1910(?)
Bio Notes: Around 1901 Campbell Douglas dissolved his partnership with Alexander Morrison. The problem is said to have been Morrison's addiction to drink. But by that date Douglas was, at seventy-three, too old to carry on the practice alone and he merged it with that of Alexander Nisbet Paterson in early 1903. He took little active interest in the design side of the practice and a bad recurrence of a previous illness - presumably that of 1887-88 - caused him to retire to Edinburgh in 1906, although Paterson continued the practice under the same name until at least 1910.

Private and Business Addresses

The following private or business addresses are associated with this architectural practice:
 AddressTypeDate fromDate toNotes
Item 1 of 1266, St Vincent Street, Glasgow, ScotlandBusinessEarly 19031910 

Employment and Training

Employees or Pupils

The following individuals were employed or trained by this architectural practice (click on an item to view details):
 NameDate fromDate toPositionNotes
Item 1 of 8Thomas McMillan190313 July 1904Assistant 
Item 2 of 8Campbell DouglasEarly 19031906Partner 
Item 3 of 8Thomas Callender Campbell MackieEarly 1903c. 1907Apprentice 
Item 4 of 8Alexander Nisbet PatersonEarly 19031910Partner 
Item 5 of 8Donald McKay StoddartEarly 19031914Chief DraughtsmanThe firm name may have reverted to A N Paterson between 1910 and 1914.
Item 6 of 8William John Brockie Wright19061908Assistant 
Item 7 of 8James Henry Gray19061909AssistantAssistant to Alexander Nisbet Paterson
Item 8 of 8David RobertsonAfter 1907Before 1910Assistant 

Buildings and Designs

This architectural practice was involved with the following buildings or structures from the date specified (click on an item to view details):
 Date startedBuilding nameTown, district or villageIslandCity or countyCountryNotes
Item 1 of 241903Barr & Stroud's Optical Instrument WorksAnniesland GlasgowScotlandWith William Arrol & Co
Item 2 of 241903Buildings on Ann Street for Baird  GlasgowScotland 
Item 3 of 241903Clyde Street SchoolHelensburgh DunbartonshireScotlandBegun by Paterson but completed in partnership?
Item 4 of 241903Hamilton Municipal Buildings and Public LibraryHamilton LanarkshireScotlandCompetition design - not successful
Item 5 of 241903RedholmHelensburgh DunbartonshireScotlandLibrary and billiard room wing, and detached laundry
Item 6 of 241903University Press, Offices for R Maclehose & CoAnniesland GlasgowScotland 
Item 7 of 241904Free Church College  GlasgowScotlandCompetition design to refurbish church after fire - not successful
Item 8 of 241904Unspecified House at HelensburghHelensburgh DunbartonshireScotland 
Item 9 of 24Before 1904Lochboisdale ChurchLochboisdaleSouth UistInverness-shireScotland 
Item 10 of 241905Fire station, houses and officesHelensburgh DunbartonshireScotland 
Item 11 of 241905Hermitage SchoolHelensburgh DunbartonshireScotlandAddition of physics wing and art department
Item 12 of 241905Sauchfield Terrace and Crescent  GlasgowScotlandKitchen outhouse with segmentally pedimented dormer to rear at No 7
Item 13 of 241906Colquhoun Arms HotelArrochar DunbartonshireScotland 
Item 14 of 241906Croft HouseHelensburgh DunbartonshireScotlandExtension, alterations and plant houses
Item 15 of 241906FerniegairHelensburgh DunbartonshireScotlandServants' accommodation and attic addition
Item 16 of 241906King's College Hospital  LondonEnglandUnsuccessful competition design
Item 17 of 241906National Bank of Scotland, St Enoch Square  GlasgowScotland 
Item 18 of 241907Liberal Club  GlasgowScotlandWon competition and secured job
Item 19 of 241907Perth Town HallPerth PerthshireScotlandCompetition design -awarded second premium
Item 20 of 24Before 1907Golf Clubhouse, Old Course, RanfurlyBridge of Weir RenfrewshireScotlandUnexecuted designs
Item 21 of 241908St Bride's Girls' SchoolHelensburgh DunbartonshireScotlandMusic room, and extension linking main building to gymnasium
Item 22 of 241909Villa, 23 Suffolk Street and 39 Millig StreetHelensburgh DunbartonshireScotlandAdditions to rear (probably a studio)
Item 23 of 241910Hermitage SchoolHelensburgh DunbartonshireScotlandAddition of the gymnasium
Item 24 of 241910Tenements, 271-285 Dumbarton Road  GlasgowScotland 

References

Currently, there are no references for this architectural practice. The information has been derived from: the British Architectural Library / RIBA Directory of British Architects 1834-1914; Post Office Directories; and/or any sources listed under this individual's works.