Larger versions of these images are located at the foot of the page.
Basic Biographical Details
|Name: ||Alexander Barr Morrison |
|Designation: ||Architect |
|Born: ||26 March 1857 |
|Died: ||10 February 1937 |
|Bio Notes: ||Alexander Barr Morrison was born at 142 Castlebank Street, Partick on 26 March 1857, the son of Norman Morrison, grocer and his wife Helen Barr. It is not known where he was originally articled, but he was senior draughtsman in the Campbell Douglas & Sellars practice by 1888, and must have had a reasonably good salary for sometime prior to that date as he was able to marry Sarah Fletcher Jack from Govan by 1879. They had four children, Clifford (born c.1879), Helen (born c.1881), Alfred (born c.1883) and Hilda (born c.1890). |
After Sellars's death in 1888, chief draughtsman John Keppie went into partnership with John Honeyman, and Douglas took Morrison into partnership. The practice of Campbell Douglas & Morrison had a fair degree of success, winning the competitions for the public libraries at Ayr and Perth and coming second to Dunn and Findlay at the Adam Smith Memorial and Beveridge Halls at Kirkcaldy. Their work was refined in detail if unadventurous.
Around 1901 Campbell Douglas 'found it necessary' to dissolve the partnership with Morrison: the problem is said to have been Morrison's addiction to drink. Morrison then merged his practice with that of Thomson, Turnbull & Peacock, the practice title now being Morrison, Turnbull & Peacock, the sequence of names suggesting that Robert Turnbull had retired and that Alexander Turnbull had been taken into partnership, the firm now describing itself as civil engineers as well as architects and surveyors. This arrangement proved to be brief and is known only from an amendment to the Glasgow directories traced by William Williamson, the practice title reverting to Thomson Turnbull & Peacock.
Morrison died of a cerebral haemorrhage at the Southern General Hospital on 10 February 1937, his usual address being 1360 Paisley Road West
Private and Business Addresses
|The following private or business addresses are associated with this architect:|
| ||Address||Type||Date from||Date to||Notes|
|266, St Vincent Street, Glasgow, Scotland||Business||c. 1890|| ||Practice address of Campbell Douglas & Morrison|
|76, Forth Street, Pollokshields, Glasgow, Scotland||Private||1891 *|| || |
|116, Forth Street, Pollokshields, Glasgow, Scotland||Private||1899 *|| || |
|36, Seymour Street, Crossmyloof, Glasgow, Scotland||Private||1909 *|| || |
|1360, Paisley Road West, Glasgow, Scotland||Private||1937 *|| || |
* earliest date known from documented sources.
Employment and Training
Buildings and Designs
|The following books contain references to this architect:|
|Johnston, W T||2003||Artists of Scotland|| ||Officina Publications CDROM|| |
|Post Office Directories|| || || || || |
|Williamson, William||2011||Robert Turnbull IA of Lenzie|| || || |
|The following archives hold material relating to this architect:|
| ||Source||Archive Name||Source Catalogue No.||Notes|
|Professor David M Walker personal archive||Professor David M Walker, notes and collection of archive material|| ||Research by Iain Paterson|
© All rights reserved. © Glasgow Institute of Architects