Basic Biographical Details

Name: Carr & Matthew
Designation: Architectural practice
Started: 1950
Ended: 1959
Bio Notes: On the semi-retirement of John Fraser Matthew in c.1950, his son Stuart Russell Matthew (born 1912), who had been assisting him, merged the firm with that of David Carr (born 1905), the office being within Matthew's house at 14 Lynedoch Place. After his father's death on 31 January 1955, with his own practice ebbing away because of poor health, Stuart Russell Matthew took in work farmed out by his elder brother, Robert Hogg Matthew (born 1906), who had founded his own practice in 1953. The partnership of Carr & Matthew was closed in 1959 when David Carr set up his own practice at 43 Manor Place.

Private and Business Addresses

The following private or business addresses are associated with this architectural practice:
 AddressTypeDate fromDate toNotes
Item 1 of 114, Lynedoch Place, Edinburgh, ScotlandBusinessc. 19501959 

Employment and Training

Employees or Pupils

The following individuals were employed or trained by this architectural practice (click on an item to view details):
 NameDate fromDate toPositionNotes
Item 1 of 4David Carr19501959Partner 
Item 2 of 4Stuart Russell Matthew19501959Partner 
Item 3 of 4James Robertson Laidlaw1951 Apprentice 
Item 4 of 4Thomas Inglis19521957Senior Architect 

Buildings and Designs

This architectural practice was involved with the following buildings or structures from the date specified (click on an item to view details):
 Date startedBuilding nameTown, district or villageIslandCity or countyCountryNotes
Item 1 of 25195025 Princes Street  EdinburghScotlandFor alterations
Item 2 of 251950Braille Printing Works, Craigmillar Park  EdinburghScotland 
Item 3 of 251950Linburn House Estate, Housing for the BlindWilkieston MidlothianScotlandJob continued by Carr & Matthew
Item 4 of 251950(?)Pinkie HouseMusselburgh MidlothianScotlandAdditions and alterations
Item 5 of 251950Strathyre CottageCallander PerthshireScotlandAlterations and additions
Item 6 of 251951Broomridge SSHA housingStirling StirlingshireScotland 
Item 7 of 25After 1951Hopetoun cottages, Hopetoun estate  West LothianScotlandRefurbishment?
Item 8 of 25After 1951Hopetoun HouseAbercorn West LothianScotlandAlterations?
Item 9 of 25After 1951Hopetoun Mausoleum  West LothianScotlandRepairs?
Item 10 of 25After 1951Kirkcaldy Town HallKirkcaldy FifeScotlandFurther work
Item 11 of 25After 1951Linburn House and other buildings on siteWilkieston MidlothianScotlandFurther work
Item 12 of 25After 1951R W Forsyth Ltd Department Store  EdinburghScotlandAlterations
Item 13 of 25After 1951Thistle Foundation, Robin Chapel  EdinburghScotlandJob continued by Carr & Matthew
Item 14 of 2519525 Western Terrace, Corstorphine Road  EdinburghScotlandPlans for conversion into two and three separate flats
Item 15 of 251952Meadowfield Housing Estate  EdinburghScotland 
Item 16 of 251953Astley Ainslie Hospital  EdinburghScotlandAlterations and additions
Item 17 of 2519 June 1953Royal Blind Asylum  EdinburghScotlandAdditions
Item 18 of 251954Dodridge Farm cottagesHopetoun West LothianScotlandConversion of two pairs of cottages to form two houses for the Hopetoun Estate
Item 19 of 251954Duddingston Primary SchoolDuddingston EdinburghScotland 
Item 20 of 251954University of St Andrews ObservatorySt Andrews FifeScotlandNew Observatory?
Item 21 of 2516 May 1958Houses and three shopsClydebank DunbartonshireScotlandCHECK role - clerk of works or architect? - accepting tenders per Builder p928
Item 22 of 251959Nairn Street and Boquhanran Road HousingClydebank DunbartonshireScotland 
Item 23 of 25After 1959Merchiston Castle School, The Castle Gates  EdinburghScotland 
Item 24 of 25Early 1950sCrawford's Restaurant  EdinburghScotlandConversion
Item 25 of 25Early 1950sFarm cottagesWinchburgh West LothianScotland 


Bibliographic References

The following books contain references to this architectural practice:
Item 1 of 1Bailey, Rebecca M1996Scottish architects' papers: a source book Edinburgh: The Rutland Presspp209, 229

Periodical References

The following periodicals contain references to this architectural practice:
 Periodical NameDateEditionPublisherNotes
Item 1 of 2Builder17 November 1950  p516
Item 2 of 2Builder19 June 1953  p969