Basic Biographical Details

Name: Thomas Dykes & Dale
Designation: Architectural practice
Started: 1906
Ended: 1919 or early 1920
Bio Notes: Thomas Dykes was born in 1853 and articled to Edward and Robertson, Dundee, from 1869 to 1874 and attended classes at the Government School of Design there; his nomination paper states that he commenced independent practice in 1880 and does not account for the period 1875-79 when the EU church at Dumbarton was designed. When admitted LRIBA in the mass intake of 20 July 1911 his address was 69 West Regent Street, Glasgow and his house 1 Rochdale Place, Mount Florida. Around the turn of the century he had formed a short-lived partnership with Andrew Robertson. Robertson had been born in 1868 and articled to Dykes from 1882 to 1887, remaining as a draughtsman until 1888. In 1888-89 he spent some months with Peat and Duncan, thereafter becoming assistant and chief draughtsman to Clarke & Bell & R A Bryden to which practice he returned as partner.

After the dissolution of his partnership with Robertson in the early years of the 20th century, Dykes took Hugh Dale into partnership in or shortly after 1906. Dale had been born at 99 Annfield Street, Glasgow on 28 August 1872, the son of Hugh Dale, boot- and shoemaker, and his wife Agnes Paterson Steele. He had been articled to Henry Edward Clifford in 1887, remaining as assistant until 1906; during that period he had studied at Glasgow School of Art and the Glasgow and West of Scotland Technical College. The practice of Thomas Dykes & Dale, based at 65 West Regent Street, was never notably prosperous. Dale spent the year 1916 in Liverpool, perhaps on war work, but appears to have returned in 1917. The practice did not recover after the First World War and in 1919 or early 1920 Dale withdrew from the partnership and moved to Coventry, where he recommenced practice at 41 Dean Street. Dykes continued the practice at a diminishing level, his main profession in his later years being that of parish council clerk.

Private and Business Addresses

The following private or business addresses are associated with this architectural practice:
 AddressTypeDate fromDate toNotes
Item 1 of 1West Regent Street, Glasgow, ScotlandBusiness   

Employment and Training

Employers

The following individuals or organisations employed or trained this architectural practice (click on an item to view details):
 NameDate fromDate toPositionNotes
Item 1 of 1Edward & Robertson18691874Apprentice 

Employees or Pupils

The following individuals were employed or trained by this architectural practice (click on an item to view details):
 NameDate fromDate toPositionNotes
Item 1 of 2Thomas Dykes19061919 or early 1920Partner 
Item 2 of 2Hugh Dale19061919 or early 1920Partner 

Buildings and Designs

This architectural practice was involved with the following buildings or structures from the date specified (click on an item to view details):
 Date startedBuilding nameTown, district or villageIslandCity or countyCountryNotes
Item 1 of 41909St Mary the Virgin Episcopal ChurchBridge of Weir RenfrewshireScotland 
Item 2 of 41910Hydepark Street School  GlasgowScotlandWon competition and secured job
Item 3 of 41910Shoe Factory  GlasgowScotland4-storey building added - Dykes responsible
Item 4 of 4Before 1911Residential flatsDunoon ArgyllScotland 

References

Bibliographic References

The following books contain references to this architectural practice:
 Author(s)DateTitlePartPublisherNotes
Item 1 of 1Walker, Frank Arneil1986South Clyde Estuary: An Illustrated Architectural Guide to Inverclyde and Renfrew  p83