Basic Biographical Details

Name: Hugh Dale
Designation: Architectural practice
Started: 28 August 1872
Ended:  
Bio Notes: Hugh Dale was born at 99 Annfield Street, Glasgow on 28 August 1872, the son of Hugh Dale, boot- and shoemaker, and his wife Agnes Paterson Steele. He was articled to Henry Edward Clifford in 1887, remaining as assistant until 1906; during that period he studied at Glasgow School of Art and the Glasgow and West of Scotland Technical College. In or shortly after 1906 he entered into a partnership with Thomas Dykes, then aged sixty and an architect from another age. This practice, based at 65 West Regent Street, was never notably prosperous. Dale spent the year 1916 in Liverpool, perhaps on war work, but appears to have returned in 1917. The practice did not recover after the First World War and in 1919 or early 1920 Dale withdrew from the partnership and moved to Coventry, where he recommenced practice at 41 Dean Street.

Private and Business Addresses

The following private or business addresses are associated with this architectural practice:
 AddressTypeDate fromDate toNotes
Item 1 of 8106, Cathcart Road, Glasgow, ScotlandBusiness1891 or 1892 *  
Item 2 of 8334, Allison Street, Glasgow, ScotlandPrivate1901 *  
Item 3 of 850, Dixon Avenue, Glasgow, ScotlandPrivateBefore 1907After 1910 
Item 4 of 865, West Regent Street, Glasgow, ScotlandBusiness1911 *  
Item 5 of 836, Third Avenue, Mount Florida, Glasgow, ScotlandPrivateBefore 1911After 1914 
Item 6 of 8c/o Chadock & Co/25, Cornhill, Liverpool, EnglandBusiness1916 *  
Item 7 of 836, Third Avenue, Mount Florida, Glasgow, ScotlandPrivate19171920 
Item 8 of 841, Dean Street, Coventry, Warwickshire, EnglandPrivate/business(?)1920After 1924 

* earliest date known from documented sources.


Employment and Training

Employers

The following individuals or organisations employed or trained this architectural practice (click on an item to view details):
 NameDate fromDate toPositionNotes
Item 1 of 3Henry Edward Clifford1887c. 1892ApprenticeRemained as assistant until 1906
Item 2 of 3Henry Edward Cliffordc. 1892Before 1906Chief Assistant 
Item 3 of 3Thomas Dykes & Dale19061919 or early 1920Partner 

RIBA

RIBA Proposers

The following individuals proposed this architectural practice for RIBA membership (click on an item to view details):
 NameDate proposedNotes
Item 1 of 1John Bennie Wilson20 July 1911for Licentiateship - as President of the Glasgow Institute of Architects

Buildings and Designs

This architectural practice was involved with the following buildings or structures from the date specified (click on an item to view details):
 Date startedBuilding nameTown, district or villageIslandCity or countyCountryNotes
Item 1 of 81899UF ChurchNewlands GlasgowScotlandWorking as assistant to H E Clifford
Item 2 of 81901Aird and Coghill's premises  GlasgowScotlandWorking as chief assistant to H E Clifford
Item 3 of 81901Elmvale Primary School  GlasgowScotlandWorking as assistant to H E Clifford
Item 4 of 81902Victoria InfirmaryLangside GlasgowScotlandWorking as assistant to Henry Edward Clifford
Item 5 of 81904Scotstoun East Church  GlasgowScotlandWorking as chief assistant to H E Clifford
Item 6 of 81909St Mary the Virgin Episcopal ChurchBridge of Weir RenfrewshireScotland 
Item 7 of 81910Hydepark Street School  GlasgowScotland 
Item 8 of 8Before 1911Residential flatsDunoon ArgyllScotland 

References

Bibliographic References

The following books contain references to this architectural practice:
 Author(s)DateTitlePartPublisherNotes
Item 1 of 2Post Office Directories     
Item 2 of 2Who's Who in Architecture1914    

Archive References

The following archives hold material relating to this architectural practice:
 SourceArchive NameSource Catalogue No.Notes
Item 1 of 2Professor David M Walker personal archiveProfessor David M Walker, notes and collection of archive material Additional research by Iain Paterson
Item 2 of 2RIBA Archive, Victoria & Albert MuseumRIBA Nomination Papers L v17 no1214