Basic Biographical Details
|Name: ||Thomas Dykes |
|Designation: ||Architect |
|Born: ||1853 |
|Died: ||6 October 1930 |
|Bio Notes: ||Thomas Dykes was born in Tayport, Fife in 1853, the son of David Dykes, later a ship's captain who opened a ships chandler's warehouse in Dundee on his retirement, and his wife Jane Kirk. He was articled to Edward & Robertson, Dundee, from 1869 to 1874; his nomination paper states that he commenced independent practice in 1880 and does not account for the period 1875-79 when the EU church at Dumbarton was designed. |
On 15 July 1885 he married Agnes Geddes Lornie at Pathhead, Fife. They had four children: David (born 1890), Clara, Mabel and Eva, all born in Mount Florida.
Around the turn of the century he formed a short-lived partnership with Andrew Robertson. Robertson had been born in 1868 and articled to Dykes from 1882 to 1887, remaining as a draughtsman until 1888. In 1888-89 he had spent some months wth Peat & Duncan, thereafter becoming assistant and chief draughtsman to Clarke & Bell & R A Bryden to which practice he had returned as partner.
After the dissolution of the partnership with Robertson in the early years of the twentieth century, Dykes took Hugh Dale into partnership in 1906. Born in 1872, Dale had been articled to Henry Edward Clifford in 1887 and had remained as an assistant.
Dykes was admitted LRIBA in the mass intake of 20 July 1911, proposed by John Bennie Wilson and the Glasgow Institute of Architects. The practice address at that time was 69 West Regent Street, Glasgow and his house 1 Rochdale Place, Mount Florida.
The practice of Thomas Dykes & Dale, based at 65 West Regent Street, was never notably prosperous. Dale spent the year 1916 in Liverpool, perhaps on war work, but appears to have returned in 1917. The practice did not recover after the First World War and in 1919 or early 1920 Dale withdrew from the partnership and moved to Coventry, where he recommenced practice. Dykes continued the practice at a diminishing level, his main profession in his later years being that of parish council clerk. He was described as such when he died at 133 Balornock Road, Glasgow on 6 October 1930.
Private and Business Addresses
|The following private or business addresses are associated with this architect:|
| ||Address||Type||Date from||Date to||Notes|
|65, West Regent Street, Glasgow, Scotland||Business||Before 1880||After 1911|| |
|1, Rochdale Place, Mount Florida, Glasgow, Scotland||Private||1891 *|| || |
|50, Brownlie Street, Mount Florida, Glasgow, Scotland||Private||1901|| || |
|1, Rochdale Place, Mount Florida, Glasgow, Scotland||Private||Before 1911||After 1915|| |
|15, Brownlie Street, Mount Florida, Glasgow, Scotland||Private||Before 1920||After 1925|| |
|938, Dumbarton Road, Glasgow, Scotland||Private||1930 *|| || |
* earliest date known from documented sources.
Employment and Training
Employees or Pupils
|The following individuals were employed or trained by this architect (click on an item to view details):|
| ||Name||Date from||Date to||Position||Notes|
|Andrew Robertson||1882||1887||Apprentice||Remained as draughtsman to 1887|
|Andrew Robertson||1887||1888||Draughtsman|| |
|The following individuals proposed this architect for RIBA membership (click on an item to view details):|
| ||Name||Date proposed||Notes|
|John Bennie Wilson||20 July 1911||for Licentiateship - as President of the Glasgow Institute of Architects|
Buildings and Designs
|The following books contain references to this architect:|
|Post Office Directories|| || || || || |
|Who's Who in Architecture||1914|| || || || |
|The following archives hold material relating to this architect:|
| ||Source||Archive Name||Source Catalogue No.||Notes|
|Professor David M Walker personal archive||Professor David M Walker, notes and collection of archive material|| ||Additional research by Iain Paterson|
|RIBA Archive, Victoria & Albert Museum||RIBA Nomination Papers|| ||L v17 no1243|