Larger versions of these images are located at the foot of the page.
Basic Biographical Details
|Name: ||Archibald Campbell Dickie |
|Designation: ||Architect |
|Born: ||1868 |
|Died: ||3 September 1941 |
|Bio Notes: ||Archibald Campbell Dickie was born in Dundee in 1868, the son of Charles Dickie. He was educated privately and spent some time studying at the Architectural Association Schools. He was apprenticed to John Carver's Forfar office in 1885 and remained as assistant, the practice being then Carver & Symon, until 1893 when he went to London and joined first the office of Beeston & Burmester and secondly that of Frederick Hall-Jones for experience. He also served as senior assistant in the office of J J Stevenson. During that period he worked either for or with Stanley D Adshead and with John Anderson from Marshall Mackenzie's office on competitions, but without success. |
Dickie was one of the five original day students at the Architectural Association in Great Marlborough Street and passed the qualifying exam in 1894, being elected ARIBA on 11 March 1895, his proposers being Herbert Duncan Searles-Wood, a prominent member of the Architectural Association, Frederick Richard Farrow and Samuel Flint Clarkson.
In 1894 Dickie was appointed architect to the Palestine Exploration Expedition Fund where he worked under the supervision of Masterman and Bliss and remained until 1897. In the course of that work the Church of the Pool of Siloam and the Madebe mosaic were discovered. In 1898 he and Bliss, with whom he worked closely, published 'Excavations in Jerusalem 1894-97'. His work on the early churches of Palestine and Syria generally and on The Great Mosque at Damascus was subsequently summarised in R Phené Spiers 'Architecture East and West' 1905. On his return he joined the office of Arthur Beresford Pite and may have had some influence on that architect's transition from Italian Mannerist to neo-Greek at that time. While with Pite he maintained his interest in archaeology and worked with R C Bosanquet on the excavations at Borcoviens on the Roman Wall. From Pite's office he entered the office of Dunn & Watson at Bedford Row, Bloomsbury c.1898, taking on as assistant Alexander Symon, the son of Archibald Symon, his employer in Forfar, in 1899. The arrangement with the Dunn & Watson practice was described by Theodore Fyfe as sharing an office rather than an actual partnership. Commissions were few and he was soon glad to accept a mastership for evening work under Hugh Patrick Guario Maule, a friend from his days in J J Stevenson's office, at the Architectural Association. Shortly thereafter he gave up his association with Dunn & Watson and formed a partnership with Claude Kelly, master of design at the Architectural Association. This lasted until 1911 when Dickie was appointed Professor of Architecture at Victoria University of Manchester in succession to Capper. He remained there until his retirement in 1933. According to Theodore Fyfe, 'Dickie was a born teacher, knowing what he wanted and doing it thoroughly and well; in the process making himself immensely popular with students, helpers and colleagues. At the same time his sanity and soundness were apparent in the counsels of the Board of Architectural Education and its schools Committee.'
He retained his interest in archaeology throughout his life being a member of the Palestine Exploration Fund executive committee from 1906 until his death and was its secretary, 1910-12, and being involved with the British School at Athens.
Dickie was married to Mary Reich and the couple had one daughter. He retired to a life in the country at Long Crendon, Buckinghamshire and died on 3 September 1941. He was remembered by Fyfe as 'a most loveable character, brimful of a warm-hearted humour' and 'universally popular'.
Private and Business Addresses
|The following private or business addresses are associated with this architect:|
| ||Address||Type||Date from||Date to||Notes|
|32, Gibson Square, London, England||Private||1895 *|| || |
|446, Oxford Street, London, England||Business||1905 *|| || |
|The University, Manchester, England||Business||1912||1933||Professor of Architecture|
| Long Crendon, Buckinghamshire, England||Private||After 1933(?)|| ||In retirement|
* earliest date known from documented sources.
Employment and Training
Employees or Pupils
|The following individuals were employed or trained by this architect (click on an item to view details):|
| ||Name||Date from||Date to||Position||Notes|
|Alexander Symon||1899||1899||Assistant|| |
Buildings and Designs
|This architect was involved with the following buildings or structures from the date specified (click on an item to view details):|
| ||Date started||Building name||Town, district or village||Island||City or county||Country||Notes|
|1903||South Herts Golf Club House||Barnet|| ||Hertfordshire||England||Exhibited at RA 1903|
|1909||Mission Hospital||Hebron|| || ||Palestine|| |
|1911||Church of St Saviour||Lewisham|| ||London||England|| |
|Before 1912||Memorial Church||Petersham|| ||Surrey||England||Interior decoration|
|Before 1912||R C Church||Clapham|| ||London||England|| |
|Before 1926||House|| || ||The Hague||Holland|| |
|The following books contain references to this architect:|
|Gray, A Stuart||1985||Edwardian Architecture: A Biographical Dictionary|| || ||p164|
|Who's Who in Architecture||1914|| || || || |
|Who's Who in Architecture||1926|| || || ||p91|
|The following periodicals contain references to this architect:|
| ||Periodical Name||Date||Edition||Publisher||Notes|
|Architect and Building News||14 July 1933|| || || |
|Architects Journal||11 September 1941|| || ||Obituary|
|Builder||12 September 1941|| || || |
|RIBA Journal||November 1941|| ||London: Royal Institute of British Architects||Appreciation by Theodore Fyfe p10|
|Scotsman||6 September 1941|| || ||Obituary p4|
|The following archives hold material relating to this architect:|
| ||Source||Archive Name||Source Catalogue No.||Notes|
|British Architectural Library, RIBA||RIBA Biographical Files|| || |
|RIBA Archive, Victoria & Albert Museum||RIBA Nomination Papers|| ||A v13 p24 (microfiche 59/C2)|
© All rights reserved. © National Portrait Gallery, London