Basic Biographical Details

Name: Gordon & Scrymgeour
Designation: Architectural practice
Started: 1927
Ended: c. 1938
Bio Notes: John Ramsay Gordon was born in Brechin and apprenticed to David Wishart Galloway, thereafter studying at Glasgow School of Architecture. From there he became an assistant in the office of Thoms and Wilkie, Dundee, setting up practice on his own in 1920, obtaining some local authority housing work in Crombie Terrace and East Haddon Road from the City Architect and Director of Housing, James Thomson. In 1927 Robert Aikenhead Scrymgeour was taken on as a partner, and from about 1930 onwards the firm's work was in a very bold, jazz-modern manner. Gordon died in June 1938 and Scrymgeour in January 1939.

Private and Business Addresses

The following private or business addresses are associated with this architectural practice:
 AddressTypeDate fromDate toNotes
Item 1 of 17, Ward Road, Dundee, ScotlandBusiness1929 * Builder 11 October 1929 p672

* earliest date known from documented sources.


Employment and Training

Employees or Pupils

The following individuals were employed or trained by this architectural practice (click on an item to view details):
 NameDate fromDate toPositionNotes
Item 1 of 5Robert Aikenhead Scrymgeour1927c. 1938Partner 
Item 2 of 5John Ramsay Gordon1927c. 1938Partner 
Item 3 of 5Ernest Ogilvie ThomsonDecember 1929December 1934Apprentice 
Item 4 of 5John Douglas AdamApril 1930December 1932Assistant 
Item 5 of 5Ernest Ogilvie ThomsonDecember 1934Before January 1938Assistant 

Buildings and Designs

This architectural practice was involved with the following buildings or structures from the date specified (click on an item to view details):
 Date startedBuilding nameTown, district or villageIslandCity or countyCountryNotes
Item 1 of 191928Garages in James Street  DundeeScotland 
Item 2 of 191929Ballindean HouseInchture Perthshire/DundeeScotlandAlterations and chauffeur's house
Item 3 of 191929House for John Brown, Kinghorne Road  DundeeScotland 
Item 4 of 191929Unidentified buildingsBarns of Claverhouse DundeeScotland 
Item 5 of 191930sBungalowsWest Ferry DundeeScotland 
Item 6 of 191930sCinemaArbroath AngusScotland 
Item 7 of 191930sLocal Authority HousingArbroath AngusScotland 
Item 8 of 191930Savoy Cinema  DundeeScotlandAlterations
Item 9 of 19November 1930Regal CinemaDumfries DumfriesshireScotlandNamed as architects for cinema
Item 10 of 191931FirbankCarnoustie AngusScotland 
Item 11 of 191932310 Houses, Downfield DevelopmentDownfield DundeeScotland 
Item 12 of 191932John Menzies Stationery warehouse  DundeeScotland 
Item 13 of 19May 1932Playhouse CinemaMontrose AngusScotlandAppointed initally as architects
Item 14 of 191933Scottish Motor Traction Company Garages  DundeeScotland 
Item 15 of 191933Semi-detached back to back double villa  DundeeScotland 
Item 16 of 191935Tuttie's NeukArbroath AngusScotland 
Item 17 of 19c. 1936Villa, 93 Forfar Road  DundeeScotland 
Item 18 of 191937Semi-detached houses, Muirfield Crescent  DundeeScotland 
Item 19 of 191937Tom-na-MonachanPitlochry PerthshireScotlandConversion and enlargement of house of c.1891-2 by A and A Heiton to form Pine Trees Hotel

References

Bibliographic References

The following books contain references to this architectural practice:
 Author(s)DateTitlePartPublisherNotes
Item 1 of 1RIBA1930The RIBA Kalendar 1930-1931 London: Royal Institute of British Architects 

Archive References

The following archives hold material relating to this architectural practice:
 SourceArchive NameSource Catalogue No.Notes
Item 1 of 2Dundee Central LibraryNewspaper Cuttings  
Item 2 of 2Professor David M Walker personal archiveProfessor David M Walker, notes and collection of archive material Personal information from the late David Sturrock