Basic Biographical Details

Name: Black & Salmon
Designation: Architectural practice
Started: 1843
Ended: c. 1853
Bio Notes: Robert Black was born in 1800, the son of John Black, tailor and Janet Strathern. There is no record of his training but he commenced practice in Glasgow in the late 1820s. By 1838 he had become architect to the Union Bank. In 1843 he formed a partnership with James Salmon (b. 1805), who had been articled to John Brash and commenced practice in Glasgow, reputedly in a Trongate basement, c. 1825. Salmon first came to real prominence in 1849 with the building of the neo-perpendicular St Matthew's Church in Bath Street and the very sophisticated Renaissance warehouse at 49 Miller Street for the art collector Archibald McLellan.

In c. 1853 the partnership of Black & Salmon was dissolved, Black entering into a brief partnership with the civil engineer Alexander George Thomson. The reasons are not known, but Black had lost the Union Bank connection to William Railton in Kilmarnock and Salmon had been commissioned by the banker and merchant Alexander Dennistoun to design the new east-end suburb of Dennistoun in that year. Both partners thereafter practised on their own account (see separate entries).

Private and Business Addresses

The following private or business addresses are associated with this architectural practice:
 AddressTypeDate fromDate toNotes
Item 1 of 1Glasgow, ScotlandBusiness   

Employment and Training

Employees or Pupils

The following individuals were employed or trained by this architectural practice (click on an item to view details):
 NameDate fromDate toPositionNotes
Item 1 of 4James Salmon (senior)1843c. 1853Partner 
Item 2 of 4Robert Black1843c. 1853Partner 
Item 3 of 4Alexander George ThomsonAfter 1843c. 1853Assistant(?)Apprentice and/or assistant
Item 4 of 4John GordonBefore 1853c. 1853Apprentice 

Buildings and Designs

This architectural practice was involved with the following buildings or structures from the date specified (click on an item to view details):
 Date startedBuilding nameTown, district or villageIslandCity or countyCountryNotes
Item 1 of 141840sSpringfield Court, Queen Street  GlasgowScotland 
Item 2 of 141844Ardrossan Parish ChurchArdrossan AyrshireScotland 
Item 3 of 141844Irvine Free ChurchIrvine AyrshireScotland 
Item 4 of 141846Union BankStirling StirlingshireScotland 
Item 5 of 141848Free St Mark's ChurchAnderston GlasgowScotland 
Item 6 of 14c. 1848Magdalen Institution and Boys' House of Refuge  GlasgowScotlandBuilding of Magdalen Institution and additions to Boys' House of Refuge
Item 7 of 141849Free St Matthew's Church  GlasgowScotland 
Item 8 of 141849Warehouse, Miller Street  GlasgowScotlandRebuilding after fire
Item 9 of 141850Catholic Apostolic Church  GlasgowScotlandWorked from Pugin's sketch designs
Item 10 of 14c. 1850(?)Union BankPaisley RenfrewshireScotlandProbably designed original building
Item 11 of 141852BarracksGovan GlasgowScotlandConverted to poorhouse
Item 12 of 141853British Linen Bank Head Office  GlasgowScotlandAlterations
Item 13 of 141853Union Bank  GlasgowScotlandNew telling room (John Thomas was the sculptor)
Item 14 of 14c. 1853British Linen BankGreenock RenfrewshireScotland 

References

Bibliographic References

The following books contain references to this architectural practice:
 Author(s)DateTitlePartPublisherNotes
Item 1 of 6APSD The Dictionary of Architectureed Wyatt PapworthThe Architectural Publication Society (8v 1852-1892) 
Item 2 of 6Architects Engineers and Building Trades Directory1868Architect's, Engineer's and Building Trades' Directory London, Wyman 
Item 3 of 6Gildard, Thomas1895An Old Glasgow Architect on some Older OnesXXVIProceedings of the Royal Philosophical Society of Glasgow 
Item 4 of 6Pagan, J1847Sketch of the History of Glasgow   
Item 5 of 6Walker, David M1966Salmon, Son, Grandson and Gillespie Scottish Art Review, vol. X, no. 3, pp. 17-29 
Item 6 of 6Walker, David W1995The Salmon Collection Unpublished: copy in NMRS