Basic Biographical Details

Name: Cunningham, Blyth & Westland
Designation: Architectural practice
Started: 1886
Ended: 1893
Bio Notes: The practice of Cunningham Blyth & Westland had its origin in B & E Blyth founded in 1848 by Benjamin Hall Blyth who took his brother Edward Lawrence Ireland Blyth into partnership in 1854. They quickly established a reputation as consulting engineers. Work flowed in from the Caledonian, Glasgow & South Western, Scottish Central, Dundee & Perth, Great North of Scotland and Portpatrick railway companies. They had a reputation for efficiency and thoroughness. Benjamin Hall Blyth died from overwork in 1866 leaving just over 56,000. The following year Edward took George Miller Cunningham, who had been the firm's chief assistant for many years, into partnership, the practice becoming Blyth & Cunningham. Benjamin Hall Blyth's eldest son (also Benjamin Hall Blyth) joined the partnership in 1871, having graduated MA at Edinburgh University and served as an apprentice and assistant in the family firm since 1867. Edward retired in 1886 and David Monro Westland, who had joined the firm as an apprentice in 1863 and had risen to the post of chief assistant, was taken into partnership, the practice title changing to Cunningham, Blyth & Westland. When Cunningham retired in 1893, the firm was renamed as Blyth & Westland.

The years 1870 to 1900 were the Blyth firm's busiest, mainly with railway work.

Private and Business Addresses

The following private or business addresses are associated with this architectural practice:
 AddressTypeDate fromDate toNotes
Item 1 of 1135, George Street, Edinburgh, ScotlandBusiness   

Employment and Training

Employees or Pupils

The following individuals were employed or trained by this architectural practice (click on an item to view details):
 NameDate fromDate toPositionNotes
Item 1 of 3Benjamin Hall Blyth II18861893Partner 
Item 2 of 3George Miller Cunningham18861893Partner 
Item 3 of 3David Monro Westland18861893Partner 

Buildings and Designs

This architectural practice was involved with the following buildings or structures from the date specified (click on an item to view details):
 Date startedBuilding nameTown, district or villageIslandCity or countyCountryNotes
Item 1 of 41886Belford Bridge  EdinburghScotlandBegun under Blyth & Cunningham; completed under Cunningham, Blyth & Westland
Item 2 of 41889Bridge over Gala WaterGalashiels SelkirkshireScotland 
Item 3 of 41892Grange Cricket Club PavilionGrange EdinburghScotland 
Item 4 of 41892Waverley Station  EdinburghScotlandAlterations and additions including Mound outer tunnels

References

Bibliographic References

The following books contain references to this architectural practice:
 Author(s)DateTitlePartPublisherNotes
Item 1 of 1Blyth & Blyth1948A history of the firm of Blyth & Blyth, chartered civil engineers, consulting structural engineers 1848-1948 Edinburgh: C J Cousland