Basic Biographical Details

Name: Blyth & Cunningham
Designation: Architectural practice
Started: 1867
Ended: 1886
Bio Notes: The practice of Blyth & Cunningham had its origin in Blyth & Blyth, founded in 1848 by Benjamin Hall Blyth who took his brother Edward Lawrence Ireland Blyth into partnership in 1854. They quickly established a reputation as consulting engineers. Work flowed in from the Caledonian, Glasgow & South Western, Scottish Central, Dundee & Perth, Great North of Scotland and Portpatrick railway companies. They had a reputation for efficiency and thoroughness. Benjamin Hall Blyth died from overwork in 1866 leaving just over 56,000. The following year Edward took George Miller Cunningham, who had been the firm's chief assistant for many years, into partnership, the practice becoming Blyth & Cunningham. Benjamin Hall Blyth's eldest son (also Benjamin Hall Blyth) joined the partnership in 1871, having graduated MA at Edinburgh University and served as an apprentice and assistant in the family firm since 1867. Edward retired in 1886 and David Monro Westland, who had joined the firm in 1863 and had risen to the post of chief assistant, was taken into partnership, the practice title changing to Cunningham, Blyth & Westland.

The years 1870 to 1900 were the Blyth firm's busiest, mainly with railway work.

Private and Business Addresses

The following private or business addresses are associated with this architectural practice:
 AddressTypeDate fromDate toNotes
Item 1 of 1135, George Street, Edinburgh, ScotlandBusiness18671886 

Employment and Training

Employees or Pupils

The following individuals were employed or trained by this architectural practice (click on an item to view details):
 NameDate fromDate toPositionNotes
Item 1 of 6Benjamin Hall Blyth II18671871Assistant 
Item 2 of 6George Miller Cunningham18671886Partner 
Item 3 of 6Edward Lawrence Ireland Blyth18671886Partner 
Item 4 of 6David Monro Westland1867Before 1886Assistant 
Item 5 of 6Benjamin Hall Blyth II18711886Partner 
Item 6 of 6David Monro WestlandBefore 18861886Chief Assistant 

Buildings and Designs

This architectural practice was involved with the following buildings or structures from the date specified (click on an item to view details):
 Date startedBuilding nameTown, district or villageIslandCity or countyCountryNotes
Item 1 of 111872Victoria Bridge  AberdeenScotland 
Item 2 of 111876Caledonian Railway Bridge over the Clyde  GlasgowScotland 
Item 3 of 111876Glasgow Central Station  GlasgowScotland 
Item 4 of 111877Ayr New BridgeAyr AyrshireScotland 
Item 5 of 111877Carron DockGrangemouth StirlingshireScotland 
Item 6 of 111881Carlisle Citadel StationCarlisle CumberlandEnglandAlterations and additions
Item 7 of 111883Manor BridgeManor PeeblesshireScotland 
Item 8 of 111883Spey ViaductGarmouth MorayshireScotlandWith Patrick M Barnett
Item 9 of 111884Perth Joint StationPerth PerthshireScotlandAlterations and additions
Item 10 of 111884Railway ViaductCullen BanffshireScotland 
Item 11 of 111885Belford Bridge  EdinburghScotlandBegun under Blyth & Cunningham; completed under Cunningham, Blyth & Westland

References

Bibliographic References

The following books contain references to this architectural practice:
 Author(s)DateTitlePartPublisherNotes
Item 1 of 1Blyth & Blyth1948A history of the firm of Blyth & Blyth, chartered civil engineers, consulting structural engineers 1848-1948 Edinburgh: C J Cousland