Basic Biographical Details
|Name: ||Benjamin Hall Blyth III |
|Designation: ||Architect, Engineer |
|Born: ||1880 or 1881 |
|Died: ||12 October 1948 |
|Bio Notes: ||Benjamin Hall Blyth was born in 1880 or 1881, the son of Francis Creswick Blyth, stockbroker, and Deborah Tod, and the nephew of Benjamin Hall Blyth junior of Edinburgh. He was taken into partnership in the family civil engineering firm in 1909, the practice title remaining as Blyth & Westland. When David Monro Westland retired in 1913, the practice adopted its final name of Blyth & Blyth. |
Benjamin Hall Blyth III enlisted in the Royal Engineers on the outbreak of the First World War, serving in France and reaching the rank of Colonel. He was still overseas at the time of his uncle's death in 1917, whereupon the firm's chief assistant, James Simpson Pirie, was made a partner.
There was very little construction work in hand between 1918 and 1927, but thereafter the firm became involved in the extensive new programme of reconstruction of the country's roads and bridges instigated by the Ministry of Transport and the Local Authorities. They also became consultants to many industrial concerns such as mills, factories and breweries.
In 1930 James Reed, who had graduated BSc at Edinburgh University and subsequently trained with Redpath Brown & Company and Balfour Beatty & Co before becoming chief assistant in the Blyth firm in 1927, was taken into partnership. Pirie retired in 1935, Blyth and Reed continuing in partnership thereafter. Throughout the latter changes the practice title remained unchanged as Blyth & Blyth.
Blyth III was appointed Lord Dean of Guild of the City of Edinburgh in 1946, but was forced to resign on account of ill health in 1947. He continued in practice but the following year his failing health and an increase in business led to a decision to take into partnership Miss M I Fergusson, who had graduated BSc in Civil Engineering at Edinburgh University and had served as an apprentice and latterly assistant to the firm since 1936. Blyth III died on 12 October 1948 at Fairfield, Kinnear Road, Edinburgh, aged 67, leaving estate of £34,075 11s 3d.
Private and Business Addresses
|The following private or business addresses are associated with this architect, engineer:|
| ||Address||Type||Date from||Date to||Notes|
|135, George Street, Edinburgh, Scotland||Business|| || || |
|Fairfield, Kinnear Road, Edinburgh, Scotland||Private||1948 *|| || |
* earliest date known from documented sources.
Employment and Training
|The following individuals or organisations employed or trained this architect, engineer (click on an item to view details):|
| ||Name||Date from||Date to||Position||Notes|
|Blyth & Westland||1909||1913||Partner|| |
|Blyth & Blyth||1913||After 1948||Partner|| |
Buildings and Designs
|The following books contain references to this architect, engineer:|
|Bailey, Rebecca M||1996||Scottish architects' papers: a source book|| ||Edinburgh: The Rutland Press|| |
|Blyth & Blyth||1948||A history of the firm of Blyth & Blyth, chartered civil engineers, consulting structural engineers … 1848-1948|| ||Edinburgh: C J Cousland|| |
|Glendinning, M, MacInnes, R and MacKechnie, A||1996||A History of Scottish Architecture|| || || |
|Johnston, W T|| ||Scottish Engineers and Shipbuilders|| || || |