Basic Biographical Details
|Name: ||Colin Macaulay Middleton |
|Designation: ||Architect |
|Born: ||14 October 1909 |
|Died: ||28 April 1995 |
|Bio Notes: ||Colin Macaulay Middleton was born on 14 October 1909, the son of John Macaulay Middleton, commission agent, and his wife Emma Tevindale. He was articled to Barbour & Bowie of Dumfries in 1926. On completion of his apprenticeship in 1931 he moved to Glasgow where he studied at Glasgow School of Architecture for three years full-time and for two years as a night student, during which period he assisted in the offices of Thomas Harold Hughes (1932 to 1933), Gillespie, Kidd & Coia (May to September 1933) and Longden & Venables of Leek (May to August 1934). He obtained his diploma in 1934, together with a certificate of merit from the Royal Technical College, entitling him to an exemption from the RIBA final exam. |
From September 1934 he worked part-time for two months as a studio instructor at the Glasgow School of Architecture, moving to Bolton in November to take up an appointment as assistant to Bradshaw Gass & Hope. He passed the Professional Practice exam two years later and was admitted ARIBA on 12 April 1937, his proposers being James Robertson Adamson, Arthur John Hope and John Bradshaw Gass, who described him in his supporting statement as 'a very good draughtsman and competent and reliable in his work'.
Middleton was taken into partnership by Barbour & Bowie in 1940, the practice still retaining the style of Barbour & Bowie until 1946 when it was merged with that of Matthew Purdon Smith, originally established in Lockerbie in 1922.
Middleton was admitted ARIAS in 1964 although he may later have relinquished his membership.
By 1970 Middleton had moved to be a partner with John Eadie Waddel Dallachy in the practice T J Beveridge & Dallachy with an office in Glasgow. Dallachy and Middleton were partners in the office in 1975 though both were advancing in years.
Middleton died on 28 April 1995 at Drumchapel Hospital in Glasgow, survived by his wife, Beatrice Mary McGaw.
Private and Business Addresses
|The following private or business addresses are associated with this architect:|
| ||Address||Type||Date from||Date to||Notes|
|27, Castle Street, Dumfries, Dumfriesshire, Scotland||Business|| || || |
|28, Brentford Avenue, Bolton, Lancashire, England||Private||1937 *|| || |
|The Hain, Cassalands, Dumfries, Dumfriesshire, Scotland||Private||1950 *|| || |
|13, Kensington Gate, Glasgow, Scotland||Private||Before 1964||1995|| |
* earliest date known from documented sources.
Employment and Training
|The following books contain references to this architect:|
|Bailey, Rebecca M||1996||Scottish architects' papers: a source book|| ||Edinburgh: The Rutland Press|| |
|RIBA||1939||The RIBA Kalendar 1939-1940|| ||London: Royal Institute of British Architects|| |
|RIBA||1950||The RIBA Kalendar 1950-1951|| ||London: Royal Institute of British Architects|| |
|RIBA||1970||RIBA Directory 1970|| || || |
|The following archives hold material relating to this architect:|
| ||Source||Archive Name||Source Catalogue No.||Notes|
|H M Register House||Death Register|| || |
|RIAS, Rutland Square||Records of membership|| || |
|RIBA Archive, Victoria & Albert Museum||RIBA Nomination Papers|| ||A no6398 (combined box 137)|