Basic Biographical Details
|Name: ||William Beattie Taylor |
|Designation: ||Architect |
|Born: ||9 March 1871 |
|Died: ||3 September 1929 |
|Bio Notes: ||William Beattie Taylor was born on 9 March 1871 in Edinburgh, the fifth child of Helen Beattie and John Taylor. John Taylor's father founded the business John Taylor and Son, Furniture Designer, Cabinet Maker and Upholsterer, Edinburgh. |
His maternal great grandfather, William Beattie, founded the building company of William Beattie and Sons of Fountainbridge, Edinburgh which was then continued by his grandfather, another William Beattie (Builder, 1808 - 1868), George Beattie (Builder, Wood Merchant and Architect, 1809 or 10 to 1872 - George Beattie and Sons, in partnership with his eldest son William Hamilton Beattie but died before the George Lennox Beattie joined the partnership) and Adam Beattie (Builder and quarry master, 1822 to 1880).
From 1896 Taylor worked in partnership with John H Cooper in Edinburgh from 1896.
William Beattie Taylor married Marguerite Dora Tod Munro before 1901 and lived at 151 Bruntsfield Place, Edinburgh.
Beattie was a keen amateur golfer and was Irish Open Amateur (Golf) Champion in 1895, 1896 and 1898. He won twice at Portrush and once at Newcastle. He specialised in golf clubhouse design.
His partnership with John H Cooper seems to have ended about 1916 or before (1916 is the last entry in Post Office directories). However he remained in practice at the last known address of the Taylor & Cooper firm until at least the late 1920s when Percy Pithie Henderson served his articles and remained as assistant there.
Taylor died suddenly in his chair in his office on 3 September 1929. His obituary in the 'Lancashire Evening Post' notes that he was one of the tallest amateur golfers. After his death the practice was taken over by William Ogilvie who ran it under the title W B Taylor & Ogilvie from 4 Forres Street, Edinburgh.
Private and Business Addresses
|The following private or business addresses are associated with this architect:|
| ||Address||Type||Date from||Date to||Notes|
|148, George Street, Edinburgh, Scotland||Business||c. 1894||c. 1898||In partnership with Cooper latterly|
|14B, George Street, Edinburgh, Scotland||Business||c. 1898||c. 1903||In partnership with Cooper|
|29, Frederick Street, Edinburgh, Scotland||Business||c. 1905||1929||Initially as Cooper & Taylor and later Taylor alone. His business address remained the same until his death.|
|151, Bruntsfield Place, Edinburgh, Scotland||Private||c. 1908||c. 1927|| |
|4, Forres Street, Edinburgh, Scotland||Business||c. 1931||c. 1934||With Ogilvie as partner|
Employment and Training
|The following individuals or organisations employed or trained this architect (click on an item to view details):|
| ||Name||Date from||Date to||Position||Notes|
|Cooper & Taylor||1896 or 1897||1906||Partner|| |
|W B Taylor & Ogilvie||c. 1931||c. 1934||Partner|| |
Employees or Pupils
Buildings and Designs
|The following books contain references to this architect:|
|Laperriere, Charles Baile de (ed.)||1991||The Royal Scottish Academy Exhibitors 1826-1990|| || || |
|Post Office Directories|| || || || || |
|RSA||1903|| || || ||414 - for address of this date|
|The following periodicals contain references to this architect:|
| ||Periodical Name||Date||Edition||Publisher||Notes|
|Dundee Evening Telegraph & Post||3 September 1929|| || || |
|Edinburgh Gazette||26 November 1929|| || || |
|Lancashire Evening Post||4 September 1929|| || || |
|The following archives hold material relating to this architect:|
| ||Source||Archive Name||Source Catalogue No.||Notes|
|Courtesy of Nigel Johns||Information sent to Dictionary|| ||Sent July 2015|
|Courtesy of Richard Beattie||Information sent via 'Contact Us' on website|| ||Sent June 2012|