Basic Biographical Details

Name: Charles Gordon O'Neill
Designation: Architect, Engineer, Surveyor
Born: 1828
Died: 8 November 1900
Bio Notes: Charles Gordon O'Neill was born in Glasgow in 1828, son of John O'Neill, hotel proprietor, and his wife Mary. He undertook training in engineering and joined John Carrick's staff as Assistant Superintendent of Works in or before 1853 when he designed the suspension bridge at Glasgow Green. As part of his duties he surveyed James Smith's house in Blythswood Square for the trial of Madeleine Hamilton Smith and a house in Sandyford Place for the murder of Jessie McLaughlin. Although a full-time official he appears to have had permission to undertake private work for the Roman Catholic community, designing churches and schools.

In September 1863 O'Neill emigrated to Otago, New Zealand where he was appointed surveyor to the provincial government. He was later district engineer at Clutha, and laid out the town of Milton. He prospered in the gold rush in Inangahua from 1865 onwards, his principal known architectural work being the Roman Catholic Church of the Sacred Heart at Reefton, South Island.

In 1881 he moved to Sydney, where he practised as an architect and engineer as well as being a driving force behind various Roman Catholic charitable organisations. He died there at St Vincent's Hospital on 8 November 1900. A bachelor, he was survived by his brother John, his constant companion, who died the following year.

Private and Business Addresses

The following private or business addresses are associated with this architect, engineer, surveyor:
 AddressTypeDate fromDate toNotes
Item 1 of 5Glasgow, ScotlandBusinessBefore 18531863 
Item 2 of 540, Abbotsford Place, Glasgow, ScotlandPrivate1860 *1862 
Item 3 of 5South Albion Street, Glasgow, ScotlandBusiness1862 * City Architect's department
Item 4 of 5Otago, New ZealandBusiness1863  
Item 5 of 5Sydney, AustraliaPrivate/business18811900 

* earliest date known from documented sources.

Employment and Training


The following individuals or organisations employed or trained this architect, engineer, surveyor (click on an item to view details):
 NameDate fromDate toPositionNotes
Item 1 of 2John Carrickc. 18531863AssistantIn City Architect's Department, South Albion Street
Item 2 of 2Glasgow Office of Public Works Architectural Department (later Glasgow Corporation City Engineer's Department)c. 18531863  

Buildings and Designs

This architect, engineer, surveyor was involved with the following buildings or structures from the date specified (click on an item to view details):
 Date startedBuilding nameTown, district or villageIslandCity or countyCountryNotes
Item 1 of 71853St Andrews FootbridgeGlasgow Green GlasgowScotlandDesigned with Neil Robson
Item 2 of 71855St Aloysius RC Church and PresbyterySpringburn GlasgowScotlandFirst church - chancel retained by Bruce and Sturrock in rebuilding and presbtery
Item 3 of 71855St Andrew's RC School  GlasgowScotland 
Item 4 of 71858St Peter's RC Church and PresbyteryPartick GlasgowScotland 
Item 5 of 71860St John's RC School  GlasgowScotland 
Item 6 of 71863Police stationHillhead GlasgowScotland 
Item 7 of 7Before 1878Church of the Sacred HeartReefton South IslandNew Zealand 


Bibliographic References

The following books contain references to this architect, engineer, surveyor:
Item 1 of 2Australian Dictionary of Biography Australian Dictionary of Biography  Volume 5, Melbourne University Press, 1974, p. 367 and at - biography by C J Foley

Item 2 of 2Historic Buildings of New Zealand Historic Buildings of New Zealand, South Island  p140

Periodical References

The following periodicals contain references to this architect, engineer, surveyor:
 Periodical NameDateEditionPublisherNotes
Item 1 of 1Glasgow Herald23 September 1863