Basic Biographical Details
|Name: ||Bryden Robertson & Boyd |
|Designation: ||Architectural practice |
|Started: ||1930 or 1932 |
|Ended: ||After 1940 |
|Bio Notes: ||The practice of Bryden Robertson & Boyd was a continuation of the firm of Bryden & Robertson, some years after the death of Andrew Francis Stewart Bryden. |
Andrew Robertson was born in 1868, and was articled to Thomas Dykes of Glasgow from 1882 to 1887, remaining for an additional year as junior draughtsman. He then worked as an assistant to John Graham Peat and Duncan from 1888 until the following year, when he became assistant to Clarke & Bell & R A Bryden, progressing to the position of chief draughtsman in 1890. He travelled in Germany and Holland in 1891 and had passed the RIBA qualifying exam in 1893, enabling him to be admitted ARIBA on 5 June that year, his proposers being Bryden, William Forrest Salmon and Thomas Lennox Watson. He left Clarke & Bell and R A Bryden in 1896 to commence practice on his own account, and around the turn of the century formed a brief partnership with Thomas Dykes, but returned to work with Robert Alexander Bryden after the latter's split from Clarke & Bell some time between 1902 and 1906. On Bryden's death in 1906, Robertson was taken into partnership by Bryden's son Andrew Francis Stewart Bryden (born 1876), who had been articled to his father's firm and had sought wider experience in Bristol under George Herbert (later Sir George) Oatley of Oatley & Skinner before returning to the become chief draughtsman to his father, and who had inherited his father's practice.
The business of the Bryden & Robertson practice, based at 147 Bath Street, was principally related to hospitals although it also included schools and small domestic buildings and some commercial architecture. Bryden died on 28 February 1917 at 43 Durward Avenue, Glasgow. Robertson continued the practice under the same name thereafter, moving the office to 278 St Vincent Street. He was admitted FRIBA on 5 March 1923, his proposers being David Salmond, James Lochhead and William Brown Whitie.
Around 1930 Robertson took Joseph Boyd into the practice, although whether as partner or as senior assistant is as yet unclear. Boyd had been born in 1873 and had attended Stow College of Science and from 1890 to 1895 Glasgow School of Art. He had been awarded the Queen's Prize for construction and design. He had commenced practice at 16 Jamieson Street, Govanhill in 1899, and in 1919 had recommenced practice at 276 Langside Road, Crosshill but moved to a city centre address at 58 West Regent Street in 1924 only to retreat again to house and office at 122 Hatton Gardens, Cardonald. He had been admitted LRIBA in 1925 and was a Fellow of the Institute of Architects of Scotland.
Boyd continued the practice as Bryden Robertson & Boyd after Robertson's death in November 1932. The practice was still in operation at the outbreak of the Second World War, by which time Boyd had moved it back to its former offices at 147 Bath Street.
Private and Business Addresses
|The following private or business addresses are associated with this architectural practice:|
| ||Address||Type||Date from||Date to||Notes|
|278, St Vincent Street, Glasgow, Scotland||Business||1930 or 1932|| || |
|147, Bath Street, Glasgow, Scotland||Business||1939 *|| || |
* earliest date known from documented sources.
Employment and Training
Employees or Pupils
|The following individuals were employed or trained by this architectural practice (click on an item to view details):|
| ||Name||Date from||Date to||Position||Notes|
|Andrew Robertson||1930(?)||1932(?)||Partner||Unclear whether name changed from Bryden & Robertson to Bryden Robertson & Boyd in 1930 or 1932|
|William Rome Tocher||5 May 1930||5 May 1935||Apprentice|| |
|Joseph Boyd||1930 or 1932||1940||Partner||Unclear whether name changed from Bryden & Robertson to Bryden Robertson & Boyd in 1930 or 1932|
|James Boyne Watson||1932||1934||Assistant|| |
Buildings and Designs
|The following books contain references to this architectural practice:|
|RIBA||1930||The RIBA Kalendar 1930-1931|| ||London: Royal Institute of British Architects||p514|
|RIBA||1939||The RIBA Kalendar 1939-1940|| ||London: Royal Institute of British Architects||p636|