Basic Biographical Details

Name: James Hoey Craigie
Designation: Architect
Born: 7 May 1870
Died: 30 March 1930
Bio Notes: James Hoey Craigie was born at 98 Gloucester Street, Tradeston on 7 May 1870, the son of James Craigie, drapery warehouseman and Magdalene Hoey. He was educated at Glasgow High School, and apprenticed to James Hamilton from 1885 to 1890. He studied at Glasgow School of Art and at the Technical College from 1890 while successively in the offices of Bruce & Hay, John Bennie Wilson and A Lindsay Miller. In 1894 he won the Alexander Thomson travelling scholarship which he spent in France and Italy from September that year until March 1895. It secured him a temporary place in the office of William James Anderson on his return, probably with the object of assisting with the latter's books. Only two months later he joined the office of Clarke & Bell & R A Bryden as George Bell II's principal assistant. In early 1901 Bell submitted a design by Craigie for the limited competition for the Glasgow Technical College, the design being placed second by the professional staff. Bell seems by 1902 to have been concerned to secure Craigie's position within the firm, as his Graeco-Baroque was more in touch with the times than Bryden's free Renaissance and better able to compete with Burnet, Campbell and Sandilands; and on 1 January 1905 he was made a partner, the firm's name changing to Clarke & Bell & J H Craigie. By that time he had undertaken futher travels, spending three weeks in Belgium in 1901, and in the year he was taken into partnership he spent a further two weeks in France.

Craigie was admitted LRIBA on the mass intake of 20 July 1911, proposed by John Bennie Wilson and the Glasgow Institute of Architects. He became FRIBA in early 1921, his proposers being John Watson, John Bennie Wilson and William Brown Whitie, by which time he was also a Fellow of the Scottish Institute of Architects and of the Glasgow Institute of Architects.

Craigie served as a captain in the Royal Engineers during the First World War, holding a commission in the 7th Battalion of the Highland Light Infantry before the commencement of war. He served as a DCRE in Stirlingshire until 1917 and thereafter in France.

Craigie was married three times: to Elizabeth Forrest Herbert on 20 October 1899 at 14 West Princes Street, to Roberta Jean Thom on 6 November 1907 at Windsor Hotel, and to Ellen Clark Hogg on 3 July 1924 at 59 Union Street, all in Glasgow. He was a member of Cathcart Parish Council from 1913 and was its chairman in 1922-23. He died of liver cancer on 30 March 1930 at 42 Riverside Road, Newlands, Glasgow, leaving estate of 4,439 0s 10d, and was buried at Cathcart. The practice was continued thereafter by George Bell III under the same name.

Private and Business Addresses

The following private or business addresses are associated with this architect:
 AddressTypeDate fromDate toNotes
Item 1 of 411, Grantly Street, Shawlands, Glasgow, ScotlandBusinessBefore 1892After 1896 
Item 2 of 412, Grantly Street, Shawlands, Glasgow, ScotlandBusiness1899 *  
Item 3 of 43, Riverside Road, Newlands, Glasgow, ScotlandBusiness1907 *  
Item 4 of 4Strathruddie/42, Riverside Road, Newlands, Glasgow, ScotlandPrivateBefore 19111930 

* earliest date known from documented sources.


Employment and Training

Employers

The following individuals or organisations employed or trained this architect (click on an item to view details):
 NameDate fromDate toPositionNotes
Item 1 of 8James Hamilton & Son18851890ApprenticeUnder James Hamilton
Item 2 of 8Bruce & Hay1890Before 1894Assistant 
Item 3 of 8Andrew Lindsay MillerBefore 18941894Assistant 
Item 4 of 8John Bennie WilsonBefore 1894Before 1894Assistant 
Item 5 of 8William James AndersonMarch 1895May 1895Assistant 
Item 6 of 8Clarke & Bell and R A BrydenMay 18951902Principal Assistant 
Item 7 of 8Clarke & Bell190231 December 1904Principal AssistantFirm became Clake and Bell and J H Craigie in 1904.
Item 8 of 8Clarke & Bell & J H Craigie1 January 19051930Partner 

RIBA

RIBA Proposers

The following individuals proposed this architect for RIBA membership (click on an item to view details):
 NameDate proposedNotes
Item 1 of 4John Watson1920 or 1921for Fellowship
Item 2 of 4William Brown Whitie1920 or 1921for Fellowship
Item 3 of 4John Bennie Wilson20 July 1911for Licentiateship - as President of the Glasgow Institute of Architects
Item 4 of 4John Bennie Wilson1920 or 1921for Fellowship

RIBA Proposals

This architect proposed the following individuals for RIBA membership (click on an item to view details):
 NameDate proposedNotes
Item 1 of 1Robert BlainMid 1923for Associateship

Buildings and Designs

This architect was involved with the following buildings or structures from the date specified (click on an item to view details):
 Date startedBuilding nameTown, district or villageIslandCity or countyCountryNotes
Item 1 of 211895Drill Hall and Headquarters for 1st Lanark Rifles  GlasgowScotlandFurther work - as principal assistant to Clarke & Bell
Item 2 of 21After 1895City and County Buildings and second Merchants' House  GlasgowScotlandReconstruction of former Council Chambers and Municipal Buildings on Ingram Street as Sheriff Courts - as principal assistant to Clarke & Bell
Item 3 of 21After 1895Warehouse for H Morrison  GlasgowScotlandAs principal assistant to Clarke & Bell
Item 4 of 21After 1895Weekly Mail Building  GlasgowScotlandAs principal assistant to Clarke & Bell
Item 5 of 211899The Roost  GlasgowScotlandAs principal assistant to Clarke & Bell & R A Bryden
Item 6 of 21c. 1900AdamtonMonkton AyrshireScotlandAdditions - as principal assistant to Clarke & Bell
Item 7 of 21Late 1900 or early 1901Glasgow and West of Scotland Technical College  GlasgowScotlandCompetition design submitted - Bell was invited but he chose to submit a design by his principal assistant J H Craigie - unsuccessful but placed second by professional staff
Item 8 of 211902A & G Thomson's Warehouse  GlasgowScotlandAdditions - 2 floors added
Item 9 of 211904Warehouse for Philip McSorley/MacSorley  GlasgowScotlandAs principal assistant to Clarke & Bell
Item 10 of 21After 1904(?)Port Glasgow improvement schemePort Glasgow RenfrewshireScotlandMay have been involved, or work may have been done before he entered partnership with Clarke & Bell
Item 11 of 211907ChurchPartick GlasgowScotland 
Item 12 of 211908Marble cutting works  GlasgowScotland 
Item 13 of 211908The Grant Arms  GlasgowScotlandComplete remodelling
Item 14 of 211910Justiciary Court Houses  GlasgowScotlandComplete rebuilding retaining portico
Item 15 of 21After 1911John Anderson's Royal Polytechnic   GlasgowScotlandRestaurant and alterations
Item 16 of 211912Corona Bar  GlasgowScotland 
Item 17 of 211912St Mary's Parish ChurchKirkintilloch DunbartonshireScotland 
Item 18 of 211913Baltic Wire and Metal Works  GlasgowScotlandAdditions
Item 19 of 211923King's Arms HotelGirvan AyrshireScotlandAlterations
Item 20 of 211929Lewis's Royal Polytechnic  GlasgowScotlandGiven as architect by family history written by William Thom Craigie, second son of James Hoey Craigie. This states that James Hoey Craigie was the principal architect for the new Lewis's Store from the commission in 1929 until his death in 1930.
Item 21 of 211931City and County Buildings and second Merchants' House  GlasgowScotlandRestoration and renovation of Sheriff Court House

References

Periodical References

The following periodicals contain references to this architect:
 Periodical NameDateEditionPublisherNotes
Item 1 of 2Glasgow Herald1 April 1930  Obituary
Item 2 of 2RIBA Journal21 June 1930 London: Royal Institute of British Architectsp598 Obituary by George Bell II

Archive References

The following archives hold material relating to this architect:
 SourceArchive NameSource Catalogue No.Notes
Item 1 of 2Professor David M Walker personal archiveProfessor David M Walker, notes and collection of archive material Research by Iain Paterson
Item 2 of 2RIBA Archive, Victoria & Albert MuseumRIBA Nomination Papers L v17 no1201; F no1763 (microfilm reel 14)